DLP dilemma

Moderator: Angel

Forum rules
cip1

DLP dilemma

Postby cip1 » Sat May 22, 2010 10:33 pm

Hi, my DLP recently stopped working. I have read many threads on this site and just want another opinion of current situation. I purchased it January 09, I estimated on average a 10-14 hour day x 365= 4000-5100 hours on original lamp. Estimate is a rough one, sometimes tv is only on for a short time or not at all. This was also an open box unit and was at one point a display model at electronics store, so there are plenty of hours unaccounted for. I never noticed any dimming or darkening of the picture, just would not fire up and the three lights would all flash after a series of attempts. Took out the lamp assembly and noticed a small amount of oxidation on center wire protruding from lamp, and alot of dust, but no breaks in the conducting wires or blackening usually associated with burnt out bulbs. I also made a short video with my cell phone and will include link, picture and sound are not great but should serve as a good indicator.
Samsung DLP
Model# HL56A650C1F
YouTube link

Thanks in advance for any help offered, also is there a preferred method of cleaning the dust out that doesnt damage or spead dust further into internal components?
Cip

Model# HL56A650C1F

ChubbsTech
TV Wizard
TV Wizard

Re: DLP dilemma

Postby ChubbsTech » Tue May 25, 2010 7:46 pm

Hello cip1
My first question is, do you hear any strange noises coming from the inside of the TV? If not, it’s very probable it’s just the lamp gone bad. Normally these lamps last from 4000+ to 6000+ hrs. so you got a pretty good life out of it. If you replace the lamp & still dose the same thing, then its definitely another TV component causing the problem.
As for the cleaning of your TV, here is a link with instructions.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=988&p=3538
Hope this helps & good luck.
Remember Knowing Is Half The Battle !

cip1

Re: DLP dilemma

Postby cip1 » Wed May 26, 2010 12:09 am

I don't hear any different noises than say when it still worked, I turned the tv around and powered it on and visually observed both fans work and are silent, then one click (I am assuming from the ballast trying to fire up the lamp). In total it makes three clicks in an even time space and then the fans shut down and the three lights on front panel flash together. I also checked the lamp door switch, that was good. I can also hear the color wheel start and it seems ok cause the sound is very short and quiet then it is silent as well. I will get a lamp and update post. Thanks for your assistance NightKid and for the link about cleaning.

Return to “Samsung Discussion”