HLT 5076sx/axx odd noises

Moderator: Angel

Forum rules
paul
Contributor
Contributor

HLT 5076sx/axx odd noises

Postby paul » Sun May 23, 2010 2:52 am

My tv went out this morning while I was watching it. It just went blank screen with audio left for about 10 seconds. Then audio went also. It then proceeded to try to start back up with a hum ( like if you turned off tv and did not wait to turn back on).Remote or power button did not work to turn off so I turned the monster power surge protecter off for about 5 min. I turned both back on and the tv worked for about 5 min before the same thing happened. I tried this again but to no avail.I proceeded to call samsung and was told I need a repair man. Well in theese times I am a little more frugel so I have been reading post for about 6 hours. Most have been very helpful :D . I have pulled out the lamp and did a visual check of it. Looked ok so I put back in and got the 3 light message. I know that the lamp needs to be replaced, but when I try to power on the set now it makes a poping sound as if a light is going to go out. My question is, is it possible that the ballist and or color wheel also went out at the same time as the lamp? What could cause the poping/crackling sound that I now am hearing.This has been a good tv I bought it 2 days before the first Charger pre-season game in 2007.

paul
Contributor
Contributor

Re: HLT 5076sx/axx odd noises

Postby paul » Tue May 25, 2010 12:34 am

Hey guys, just an update.I think I figured out what the poping noise was. After calling DM and talking to a tech and holding my phone up to the spot where the noise was coming from he said it sounded like a color wheel. So to test this theory I removed the lamp, pluged in the tv and powered it on. I did not hear the popping. So I replace the lamp and powered back up.....poping again. I ordered a lamp from DM and it will be here tomorrow.By the way dealing with the people at DM was great. I will keep you posted if it was just the lamp or if it is more. Thanks for all the great info!

paul
Contributor
Contributor

Postby paul » Wed May 26, 2010 3:14 am

Hey guys, got the new lamp today :D . I installed it in the old case and put in TV. The TV is as good as new! Thx DM for the quick service.

paul
Contributor
Contributor

Postby paul » Wed May 26, 2010 6:03 pm

Reset the lamp timer today, I had 10794 hours on orignal lamp. Way over due but all's well that ends well.My next question, is there an approximite time that the color wheel and ballist last? Or do they just fail when they fail?

ChubbsTech
TV Wizard
TV Wizard

Postby ChubbsTech » Thu May 27, 2010 5:06 pm

Hello paul.
To be honest there is no way to determine is a ballast or color wheel is going out soon.
The only way to prolong its life is by cleaning the inside of the TV every 5 or 6 months.
Hope this helps you out.
Remember Knowing Is Half The Battle !

Return to “Samsung Discussion”