Cleaning Light engine lens.

Moderator: Angel

Forum rules
leadguy68
Contributor
Contributor

Cleaning Light engine lens.

Postby leadguy68 » Sun May 23, 2010 7:56 pm

Ive been lurking for some time and decided to finally ask the pros on this... I did some searching and didnt come across a real answer.

On my HLS (hls5065wx/xaa) series Samsung DLP, I was replacing the color wheel and noticed the Lens on the light engine was smudged and dirty. So i cleaned it with some alcohol and q-tips as I read online to do. However, I noticed now along the edges of the lens it is considerably darker and not clear compared to the center of the lens. What could cause this? Is this an issue.... I fired up the tv and it seems to be a bit blurry around the edges of the screen now (not too horrible.. but noticable).

From what it almost looks like is that there was a "filter" on the lense and it go partially cleaned off/wiped off when i cleaned the lens. Could this be the case?

Thanks in advance all! Sorry if i sound like a newb.

leadguy68
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Cleaning Light engine lens.

Postby leadguy68 » Mon May 24, 2010 2:35 pm

Well after posting this yesterday I finally found another thread talking about this subject, found out that the lens was infact covered with a laminate that i rubbed off when cleaning it.

My question now, is how hard is it to replace this lens? I was fortunate enough to find one... but now i have to swap it out.

ChubbsTech
TV Wizard
TV Wizard

Postby ChubbsTech » Wed May 26, 2010 6:06 pm

Hello leadguy68.
I’m sorry but I got bad news. That “Filter” on the lens that you removed is a special optical coating that is applied by the factory & its something that can’t be bought at a store. So the only solution is to buy a new lens (however it’s very hard to buy individually). The other option is to buy the entire light engine, how ever it’s obviously more expensive & more difficult to install.
If you have any other question, feel free to ask.
Good luck.
Remember Knowing Is Half The Battle !

leadguy68
Contributor
Contributor

Postby leadguy68 » Wed May 26, 2010 10:17 pm

Thanks for the reply! I got lucky and scored a new lens and light tunnel for ~100 bucks, so i got it taken care of :mrgreen:

Return to “Samsung Discussion”