Black & White Picture

Moderator: Angel

Forum rules
beechmontfarm2010

Black & White Picture

Postby beechmontfarm2010 » Sun May 23, 2010 10:55 pm

We have a samsung DLP HLN5065W tv. we have had power surges that left our tv turning off by itself, then it would do it after getting overheated. When it did this last night, when tv was able to be turned back on, it has a black & white picture. Today I checked bulb, checked in tv, behind tv and replugged it in with same results only the lamp bulb blinks when turning on, and then seems to be working fine but now in black & white.

I got online to check problem, I had replaced the bulb a year and half ago., thinking I might need a new bulb. When we first got it color wheel had to be replaced early on, so if I get a new color wheel would that solve the problem of the black & white picture?

Do I need to order a cooling fan also? Could it being overheated cause the color wheel not to work? I was going to order parts, and call a repair person to replace color wheel, but didn't know if I needed other parts.

I was going to call a repairman to replace the color wheel, looked difficult, but wanted to have a new lamp for backup, wasn't sure about ordering the fan too? Of course our tv is out of warranty, so I was trying to save money by just have a tech come to replace the colorwheel. I wanted to make sure that was the reason for the black and white picture. I appreciate your replies. thank you.

darkart77
Tech Junkie
Tech Junkie

Re: Black & White Picture

Postby darkart77 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:25 pm

Hello,
Your problem seems to be the color wheel. It is a repair that can be done by a none repairman. For sure. The first thing is to make sure you find the right color wheel, model number alone won't do it. You have to get the part number from the color wheel on your tv. All the symptoms go to the color wheel.

ChubbsTech
TV Wizard
TV Wizard

Re: Black & White Picture

Postby ChubbsTech » Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:41 pm

Hello beechmontfarm201.
Right again darkart77. It’s very important that you check the color wheel physically. I’d bet the color wheel is shattered or broken. If so then you’ll need to buy a new one. While you’re at it, I would also recommend you clean the inside of the TV.
If you want to know more about the color wheel, read this post.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=1254
Good luck.
Remember Knowing Is Half The Battle !

Return to “Samsung Discussion”