Moderator: Angel

Forum rules
CoachMike
Contributor
Contributor

Still turns off ????

Postby CoachMike » Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:30 pm

Hello Ovadoggvo,
On my HLP4663WX/XAA it is still not staying on. It sometimes comes on with no picture , just sound then goes off after a minute with all three lights flashing. It sometimes powers itself up while performing the three start ups procedure before shutting completley down.When it does stay on the picture is amazing for the three to five minutes, then off she goes again. I have replaced first the lamp and it worked for three weeks no problem. Then it went out again and I replaced the ballast. Both purchased from DM. I also installed a fan on the inside of the lamp door to draw out the heat and plugged it into my cable box. I built up the lamp door switch by sliding a piece of rubber over it from a vice clamp. Still did not work right so I then replaced the color wheel assembly and thermostat from Samsung, ( DM did not have ) and put it all in with another new Philips lamp from DM. It still will not stay on more than three to five minutes. DM is sending me a power supply so we can check to see if mine has somehow failed to send a steady current to keep the lamp powered. If that dont work , what is the next to be purchased, the DMD board ???? Any extra advise or help would be much appreciated.
Thanks , frustrated and ready to swing away !!!!

Eddie

Re: Still turns off ????

Postby Eddie » Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:44 pm

This is what the lamp indicator lights are doing...
http://www.fixyourdlp.com/wizard/indica ... msung.html

Usually those three blinking lights means something is wrong with the lamp unit--either it can't turn on, stay on, or ignite, and is caused by any wide number of things that are connected to it. The power supply does seem to be the best bet at this point. I suspect that there isn't enough current going to the lamp to keep it on. There are also possibly problems in your home that could be causing it...

Have you checked your power surge protector? Plug the TV directly into the wall. Have you had any power outages that could have affected the power supply? There are some quick things you can do--maybe it's the surge protector that's giving your the problem... A heat problem could also be the culprit... I've heard of people running a fan behind the TV to cool the unit. Just tape the lamp door switch on so you can ignite your lamp. Could also be the temp sensor??? Those things rarely go bad though, but it's also a possibility.

Please keep us posted on your progress!!
--

Eddie

CoachMike
Contributor
Contributor

Postby CoachMike » Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:08 pm

Thanks for the reply Eddie but like my original post says , I have done everything that one would think would cause this problem except replace the power center and or the DMD board. I am looking for more input to make sure I'm on the right track by replacing the pieces that I am. But if someone knows from any past experience , if the power center does not work and fix the problem should I just replce the DMD board first or maybe the digital board ???? Or just swing for the fences and bust it up into small specs of digital dust ???? Would the digital board cause these problems ???? Also when working properly I do have all my AV gear normally going into a PS Audio Quintet power center surge protector but while I'm servicing the tv I have been going straight into the wall. Hopefully DM ships the power center soon. Its been more than a week and they still have not shipped it from there stock ?? Help anyone. I will advise any further solutions when they become available to me.

musowl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby musowl » Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:44 am

Thanks for your interest. I will certainly keep you updated (and vice-versa). Hopefully our alliance can figure this thing out!!

ovadoggvo
Master Technician
Master Technician

Postby ovadoggvo » Fri Apr 10, 2009 5:28 am

coachmike,
Hmm.. I would guess DMD board or Digital board... It could go either way. If it's turning it self on and off, then a faulty digital board could be more likely. The digital board does control the menu and remote functions to an extent.

Let us know how it goes!

CoachMike
Contributor
Contributor

Postby CoachMike » Sat Apr 11, 2009 5:03 am

Thanks for the input Ovadoggvo, DM shipped the power supply this past Wednesday, Fedex says I should have it Saturday night by 8pm. Once I get home and take the handy dandy screwdriver back out and install it I will advise if it fixed the problem or not. Also , does anyone know the exact step by step procedure to checking the ballast for proper voltage ?? I do hear it clicking when it tries to power up sometimes more than twice. I'm hoping that one of the two ballasts I have is okay ??

CoachMike
Contributor
Contributor

Postby CoachMike » Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:06 pm

Recieved new power supply, installed it and same thing. Turns off after a minute or two. Checked voltage to the ballast and its only getting 160V at the two wire input connector ??? I took the red power lead from the multi-meter and probed the brown wire connector and grounded the black lead to the metal tray which houses the light engine assembly. I called DM and am waiting for there tech guy to call me back. Samsung said it sounds like the ballast is bad. I am hearing several clicks before the lamp starts to ignite if it does at all. If it does it turns off after a minute. If it does not ignite, the sound comes on and the lamp light flashes on the front of the tv until it cycles through the boot up process two more times then shuts down. Suggestions ????

ovadoggvo
Master Technician
Master Technician

Postby ovadoggvo » Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:44 pm

Sh*t mike... You seem to be having a hell of a time with that TV. The only other thing that I could think of that the TV has is the AUX Power found here:
http://www.discount-merchant.com/We-pro ... amsung.htm

I don't know what else it might be.. Did you change the DMD or DBoards?

Return to “Samsung Discussion”