One mans trash...

Moderator: Angel

Forum rules
opensourcepirate

One mans trash...

Postby opensourcepirate » Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:32 am

I just registered this account to say thank you and tell you all of my good fortune. Sorry if I make you all jealous.

Monday night is trash night in my neighborhood, and I've taken to walking around with a friend of mine and seeing if anything good has been thrown out. Two weeks ago, we found an HLP5063xw xaa. We decided it was worth plugging in - the worst that would happen is we would put it back out on the curb that night.

It turned on fine. In fact, everything seemed to be in order except for a horrible whine. 3 days later, the color wheel died completely. I replaced the wheel about a week later. The clay faces were out in force, which didn't bother me, but the image was also flickering randomly, which worried me. Once I found a universal remote though, I adjusted the index display and now everything is gravy.

Well, the image is a lot darker than I would prefer. It's fine at night, but it kind of sucks during the day. The service menu says about 9600 hours on the bulb, so I'm assuming that has something to do with it.

romerovideo
Contributor
Contributor

Re: One mans trash...

Postby romerovideo » Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:05 am

LOL, you won't make me jealous. I've found 2 56" samsungs and a 52" Mits. All which needed something. I'm using one of the Samsungs now which is a 2007 model. Granted, i don't do as good as i used to when i lived in New Jersey and Pennsylvania. Used to find dvd players, video games and systems, computers, and even found an arcade game once. You'd be very surprised at what some people consider garbage. But they usually have hordes of cash to just go get new whenever they feel like. Congrats on your find. Keep looking and you'll always find something else. I still find things every now and again.

Return to “Samsung Discussion”