Loud "drum sound" and then buzzing

Moderator: Angel

Forum rules
danimarie23
Contributor
Contributor

Loud "drum sound" and then buzzing

Postby danimarie23 » Fri May 28, 2010 3:33 am

Hi everyone... IM BACK! We recently replaced the lamp in our Samsung HL-r6167W, had a minor *user* error, but things have been great for the past month! I was watching TV tonight, went to turn the volume up a little bit and then.. it happened. It was a loud noise, almost like a bass drum, and then a loud buzzing sound, and the color went all gray and fuzzy. I immediately ran up and hit the power cord (which is one of those expensive filtered ones). I let it cool down for a few minutes and tried turning it back on, but before the screen even started up, the noise scared me and I shut it off again.

We are beyond upset at this point that we've had so many issues with the TV! We bought it supposedly "gently used," come to find out there were over 10000 hours on it. RIP OFF. :(

Anyway, does anyone have ANY idea what is going on!? We really don't want to buy a new TV, but if this is going to cost us..again, screw it!

johnrot
TV Repair Jedi
TV Repair Jedi

Re: Loud "drum sound" and then buzzing

Postby johnrot » Fri May 28, 2010 8:45 pm

HI danimarie23, it seems like the colorwheel :? the colorwheel makes that kind of sound it spins at very high RPM so it makes a mechanichal loud sound, also about the color gray it is anohter symptom of a bad colorwheel :? hope this helps. :ugeek:
[b][color=#BF00FF]WE ALWAYS LEARN SOMETHING NEW[/color][/b]

danimarie23
Contributor
Contributor

Postby danimarie23 » Sat May 29, 2010 3:15 am

That was my initial thought... I've kind of worried about that since we replaced the bulb a month or so ago. I'm too scared to turn the TV back on to see what the picture actually looks like, but right before I unplugged it, it went all gray and horrible looking. Sooo... I guess I'll have to investigate more. If it IS the color wheel, will I know by looking at it?!

ChubbsTech
TV Wizard
TV Wizard

Postby ChubbsTech » Mon May 31, 2010 4:36 pm

Hello again danimarie23.
I agree with johnrot, that most definitely sound like the color wheel. That horrible sound may mean that the color wheel is shattered or broken. The only way to be sure is to inspect the color wheel physically. Here is a link to a post that points out where the color wheel is normally located on a Samsung DLP TV.
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1315
if you have any more questions feel free to ask.
Good Luck.
Remember Knowing Is Half The Battle !

Return to “Samsung Discussion”