HLS4266WX Ballast Voltage check

Moderator: Angel

Forum rules
nokaoii

HLS4266WX Ballast Voltage check

Postby nokaoii » Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:44 pm

Greetings everyone. What a great community and resource. I have been reading a lot and learning a lot. I do have a question though.

Situation:

Samsung DLP HLS4266WX. The TV powers on with the chime, lamp lights and I get picture for about 30 seconds. Then it shuts off, I sometimes hear a slight buzzing noise and I get all 3 blinking lights up front on the power button. If I wait a few seconds and press the power button again, the TV will come back on for about 10 seconds and then repeat. If I leave the unit sit for quite awhile I can get the lamp to stay on longer (~30 seconds is all). I can never get it to stay on long enough to check the bulb hours in the diagnostic menu.

From what I've read on here, it sounds like the first place to check and replace is the bulb. The ballast does make noises when the TV fires up, but that leads me to my question.

Question:

I dont want to pay for a new bulb if it's the ballast instead. I've read on here that I can test the ballast with my multi-meter but I am unsure what wires to probe and where to ground to. I dont want to hook up and zap myself or the TV even worse testing this. Is there a guide, or can someone provide simple directions, on how to test the ballast with a multimeter and what voltages I should be looking for?

Thank you.

Return to “Samsung Discussion”