Moderator: Angel

Forum rules
gaspar
Contributor
Contributor

Ballast burnt again

Postby gaspar » Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:30 pm

Hello,

I'm new here, just have a quick question for the experts :)

I have a samsung HL50A650C1FXZA. About a month ago, I was playing PS3 and I started smelling a burning smell. The TV then began to turn off and turn on. It would not stop until I unplugged it. I disassembled it and recognized that the large capacitor on the ballast was inflated and some of the dielectric had seeped out of the top. I ordered a new ballast, and replaced it. Everything worked fine for about a month, then the same burning smell, same on an off, wont stop unless you unplug it. I looked, and sure enough, that same capacitor looks like its blown.

So my question is this: Is something else causing the ballast to go bad, or did I just get another defective part from the supplier?

Thanks so much for your help. I look forward to hearing from you.

ChubbsTech
TV Wizard
TV Wizard

Re: Ballast burnt again

Postby ChubbsTech » Fri Jun 04, 2010 5:11 pm

Hello gaspar.
First of all, have there been any power surges before the ballast went bad? Do you have a power regulator connected between the wall & TV? Have you clean the inside of your TV free of dust & mold?
That’s very odd, and I don’t think it’s a coincidence that two ballasts would go out the same way. My recommendation is that you check your power supply board, see if there are no swollen capacitors there.
Hope this helps you out.
Remember Knowing Is Half The Battle !

gaspar
Contributor
Contributor

Postby gaspar » Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:02 pm

Nightkid,

No power surges as far as I know, and I do have it plugged into a surge protector. I cleaned out the back of the TV when I took it apart last month, so I don't think its a dust problem. All the fans seem to be working fine.

I'm just worried that the lamp could be causing this. Its 2 years old, but the lamp still seems to work fine (when the ballast will power it).

any ideas?

Thanks.

ChubbsTech
TV Wizard
TV Wizard

Postby ChubbsTech » Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:52 pm

Hello again gaspar.
There is no technical reason that the lamp would be the cause of the problem. The lamp only operates on the power that the ballast sends. Normally bad ballast cause good lamps to go bad and no the other way around. So right now the prime suspect is the power supply main board.
Hope this helps you out.

gaspar
Contributor
Contributor

Postby gaspar » Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:29 am

Thanks, NightKid. That makes sense.

At least I know what to try next. I'll let you know how it goes.

gaspar
Contributor
Contributor

Postby gaspar » Sun Jun 06, 2010 8:30 pm

Pulled the power supply, it doesn't look like anything is wrong but i did notice that i have the "BP44-01002A" model which has been discontinued and replaced by the BP44-01002C model. Anyone know why the A model was replaced? Is it Defective?

Thanks

ChubbsTech
TV Wizard
TV Wizard

Postby ChubbsTech » Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:07 pm

Samsung probably discontinued that power supply board because it had a lot of QC issues, in the shop I’ve had to replace several BP44-01002A because of the same problem so hopefully if you install the new BP44-01002C model it will last you a lot more that your current board.
Good luck.

gaspar
Contributor
Contributor

Postby gaspar » Thu Jun 10, 2010 7:52 pm

Thanks. Parts are on their way. hopefully they get here soon!

gaspar
Contributor
Contributor

Postby gaspar » Fri Jun 18, 2010 1:11 pm

Installed the parts last night (Ballast and Power Supply). Its working... for now.

I will update if anything else goes wrong.

gaspar
Contributor
Contributor

Postby gaspar » Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:54 am

UPDATE: Still working!

Seems like the power supply on this model can cause your ballast to repeatedly go out. Good to know.

Thanks again for the help.

Return to “Samsung Discussion”