About to give up on my Samsung HLN617WX XAA

Moderator: Angel

Forum rules
smurfette

About to give up on my Samsung HLN617WX XAA

Postby smurfette » Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:42 pm

I have a 61" Samsung that I bought refurbished about 2.5 years ago. I have really enjoyed it.

Not long ago, my son turned on the tv, heard a popping sound, then the tv started making this horrific screeching noise, and the picture went to black and white.

I did a little web research, and decided it was probably the color wheel. I ordered a new one, then followed the steps I found on a popular online guide of how to change the wheel.

My diagnosis was right as the old wheel was shattered all over the place inside my set. I had a bad time with the blue/white/white wire coming off of the old color wheel. When I tried removing it from the connector on what I believe to be the DMD board, the end of it started crumbling inside the connector. I tried to gently pry it out, but then then connector popped off the board.

My oldest son has built computers, so he is familiar with soldering on electronic things. He soldered the connector back onto the board for me.

I then re-assembled the tv, and attempted to turn it on, making sure that the small blue safety switch on the lower right hand side was flipped.

But I get nothing. The set is plugged directly into a wall outlet, the green lamp light flashes on front, along with a red light. The TV does not come on, and nothing seems to engage.

I have retraced my steps multiple times with no change in luck. The lamp is only a few months old.

Any thoughts on what I can try? I have a new tv ordered, but would cancel the order if I could make this one work. As is, I am about at the end of the little knowledge I have, and I don't want to spend a bunch of money on various parts trying to figure it all out.

ChubbsTech
TV Wizard
TV Wizard

Re: About to give up on my Samsung HLN617WX XAA

Postby ChubbsTech » Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:56 pm

Hello smurfette.
Wow, this is a tough one, my first instinct is to double check all the connectors, but I believe you have already done that, second thing would be the issue with the blue, white wiring connector. Right now, that my main suspect, did you check if he soldered independently the terminals for the white & blue cables? If not, then there would be interference with the OK signal the color wheel sends the DMD board in order to turn on the TV.
My last concern would be that you closed completely the TV in order for it to turn on, but you already mention you have, including the blue safety switch.
If all else fails go for the new TV.
Hope this help you out.
Good luck.
Remember Knowing Is Half The Battle !

smurfette

Re: About to give up on my Samsung HLN617WX XAA

Postby smurfette » Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:26 pm

Thanks for all your reply, NightKid. :) I don't know much about the soldering part, and I am not sure what you mean about soldering indepently. I will ask him about that. I have read of people soldering the wires directly to the board. Do you think that would work?

I am going to try to figure out how to check it with a volt meter. Or I may save that for someone more competent than I am. ;)

Yep, I have checked the connections until I am blue in the face, made sure that the back was on, made sure that the white tab on the ribbon cable off the color wheel was facing correctly, etc.

I plugged it in again last night, to refresh my memory on what it was doing, as it has been about a couple of weeks since I last got irritated with it and had to walk away. The set makes the chime noise, and the lamp light flashes. I can hear the fans running, but it never goes ahead and powers on. It then just shuts itself down.

I am going to go ahead and let the new plasma get delivered. I hate it, because I loved this tv, and it is only 7 years old. However, if I put it into perspective, it was already a refurb and, if I have read correct info on the net, the HLN series was the 2nd generation DLP that Samsung came out with. I guess that means there is room for error in there somewhere.

I will keep trying to fix it though, if nothing more than sheer stubbornness. ~lol~ Plus I can sell it for more if it is working. If I come up with any positive results, I will post here to maybe help someone else.

Thanks for your suggestions, I will ask him the questions about the soldering, and see if that helps. :)

Return to “Samsung Discussion”