Samsung dlp making me crazy!

Moderator: Angel

Forum rules
deuce79
Contributor
Contributor

Samsung dlp making me crazy!

Postby deuce79 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:01 pm

Ok guys, from what I can see, this is a huge issue with these tvs. A little background before the problem. I bought a samsung hlt5675sx 2.5 to 3 yrs ago. After approx 2 years the screen went black but audio still worked. The three leds came on the from of the set, indicating possible lamp failure. At this time it was still under the warranty policy we bought. A repair tech came out and replaced the bulb. Tv was fine after that. Occasionally during that time, a slight buzzing sound would come from the set for 3-4 secs on start up, not very often though. This fix worked for around 6 months. As of two weeks ago, the tv lost picture and sound, and the 3 leds are flashing. My first thought was a faulty bulb and so we ordered a proper bulb from DM. I recieved it yesterday and installed it. With all proper conditions met( door switch, lamp placement etc.) I fire up tv only to have give me 3 stinkin led lights flashing. Upon plugging tv into socket, pressing power button, one click can be heard on opposite side of tv from ballast. (like a relay.) I do have both fans operating in rear and cannot see color wheel spinning on start up. I removed the rear access cover to see/hear these components. The ballast makes no noise nor does the color wheel. Any reccomendations or tips would be greatly appreciated. I want to properly diagnose this and Im a little worried it may not be that easy. Sorry for being so long but I figured the more info the better for diag. Thanks in advance David.

ChubbsTech
TV Wizard
TV Wizard

Re: Samsung dlp making me crazy!

Postby ChubbsTech » Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:19 pm

Hello David.
My first recommendation is that clean the inside of your TV free from dust & mold so we can discard overheating as the reason for your TV failure. One that’s out of the way, try resetting your lamp timer. If you don’t know how, here is a link on how to do that.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=1050
You see the lamp timer is a small program inside your TV that keeps track of the hours when the lamp is in usage. When its reaches a certain limit, it will shut the TV off for security reasons.
So we need to discard these two possibilities first before we move on.
Keep me posted on any new developments.
Good luck.
Remember Knowing Is Half The Battle !

deuce79
Contributor
Contributor

Postby deuce79 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:11 pm

Thanks for responding Nightkid and nice ride man. As I stated earlier,I attepted a bulb replacement to no avail. After doing so I got my diagnostic juices flowing. By trade I am a mechanic so this type of thing should be up my alley. Well as you know without proper diagnostic tools this can be a pain. Anyway I pulled the back access panel off to look and listen inside. At this point i pulled the entire assm out to clean dust. After doing so,(without removing any component) i reinstalled assm. and tried to restart tv. With lamp door closed and all. Same response. I then read some of the posts on this forum and tried to reset the lamp timer. I tried this 4 times and had no positive response. My concern is to actually find what the order of operation is-i.e. power then fans then ballast etc. As i stated our first bulb was blown and the tech at the time stated that all other components were in normal operation. this was 6 months ago. At that time, as I mentioned we still had sound, this time nothing. I am not getting any noise from any component. The only click that is heard seems to be at the main computer where the leds are housed, the opposite side from the ballast/bulb. I know this can be exhausting and i do appreciate the time. I dont have a meter that will read that type of voltage and would like to somehow diagnose without one if possible. I did order a manual from manual universe but have not recieved it yet. I've seen numerous posts here and i am trying to diag through collection of data.
In summary, I have no abnormal noises, smells or anything exciting happening. The area inside is clean and free of dust and I am prepared for the next step. My thought is the ballast but cannot confirm. I did however remove the color wheel when I had the unit out and visually inspected. It spun extremely freely and seems not to be faulty movement wise. It does not spin inside tv when powering up though, so maybe this is an indicator of something. Again thank you for the response and i look forward to you answer to this. Thanks David.

ChubbsTech
TV Wizard
TV Wizard

Postby ChubbsTech » Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:02 pm

Hello again David.
This is a tough one, after reading both posts over a dozen times I think I might have the answer. Try to uses your multimeter and see if you power supply is sending the 320V - 380V to the ballast. if so, we can discard the power supply. No try the small connector from the DMD board to the ballast, it’s supposed to send 3v – 5v. if all is wall we can discard the DMD board and definitely look for a new ballast.
As for the order of operation: first the raw power from the wall outlet come in trough the power supply, after taking in only the amount it needs it will distribute it to all the components on the TV, the first things that turn on are the fans& ballast, the ballast activates the lamp, meanwhile the analog video board, starts to receive any external signal from any device and separates audio from video, then the video signal is sent to the digital video board that is in charge of converting the analog signal to digital for the DMD board to understand. As for the audio, its sent to the speakers. Now that the DMD has received the signal at the same time the light emitted from the lamp goes trough the color wheel & light engine also controlled buy the DMD board, now the DMD board coordinates everything to project an image on the screen.
Hope this helps you out.
Good luck.
Remember Knowing Is Half The Battle !

deuce79
Contributor
Contributor

Postby deuce79 » Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:22 am

Thanks will let you know what i find.

Return to “Samsung Discussion”