Loud "pop" followed by no picture

Moderator: Angel

Forum rules
betabob

Loud "pop" followed by no picture

Postby betabob » Sun Jun 13, 2010 6:44 am

Hi all - I hope somebody can advise me with a problem I am having. This evening I was watching something on my HLR-6768W and all of a sudden I heard this loud "pop". At that point I will still getting a picture, but it was blurry and mostly black and white looking. I then turned off the TV and attempted to turn it back on, but no picture. The LED's on the front of the TV indicated that there was a lamp problem, so I proceeded to remove the lamp. However, now that I've removed it I am questioning whether or not this is really the culprit. First off, upon visual inspection I don't see anything wrong with the lamp - no cracks, shattered glass, etc. Secondly, since I still saw a picture after the "pop" that must mean the lamp was still functioning...right? And lastly, my understanding is that in most, if not all cases you'll know when a lamp is about to go bad prior to it actually failing. In my case everything was operating at 100% and I didn't notice any picture fading or dimming before this occurred.

Based on the above, I am now suspecting that it might be the color wheel or the ballast. Any thoughts or ideas about how to best isolate the problem?

Bob

ChubbsTech
TV Wizard
TV Wizard

Re: Loud "pop" followed by no picture

Postby ChubbsTech » Mon Jun 14, 2010 4:30 pm

Hello betabob.
There is a strong possibility that the loud popping noise that you’ve heard wasn’t your lamp, but your color wheel instead. Why? First of all the symptom you describe ( picture loosing color), second the lamp is not shattered. So my recommendation is that you first inspect your color wheel, see if it’s broken, or if there is bits of pieces in there.
Here is a pair of post that might help you out.
This one has some detailed info on the color wheel.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=1254
and here is one that might give you an idea of where to find the color wheel.
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1315
Good luck.
Remember Knowing Is Half The Battle !

betabob

Re: Loud "pop" followed by no picture

Postby betabob » Mon Jun 14, 2010 4:49 pm

Thanks for the response. Yes, I am pretty sure it is the color wheel as well. Using instructions posted on YouTube and the internet I tried to take it out yesterday but had trouble sliding out the LE assembly. I decided to just call a local tech to replace it....I guess I just don't trust myself. If the color wheel is the only problem that would be great, but it sounds like others who replaced it ended up having other issues with picture alignment, shadowing, etc. afterwards...I hop this won't be the case with me.

Return to “Samsung Discussion”