Still tv won't turn on

Moderator: Angel

Forum rules
61snowrider
Contributor
Contributor

Still tv won't turn on

Postby 61snowrider » Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:11 am

Eddie: I have read a lot of your post and you have given a lot of information, but can you take one more look at this problem?
I have a DLP tv samsung model HL-R4667W. Originally the 3 lights out front was blinking indicating a new bulb was needed.
I ordered and installed it and now the tv won't turn on!! I held the blue switch down and plugged it in and turned the tv on with the remote.
The 2 fans both kicked on. The solid red light on bottom came on. Then the tv made sound by itself that it tried to turn on-- Then the red light went out and the top right green light started blinking. Did this cycle by itself for 3 times then the tv shut itself off and all 3 lights are now on again. Could you tell me what you think it is now. Thank you

Crowell
Tech Junkie
Tech Junkie

Re: Still tv won't turn on

Postby Crowell » Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:07 pm

Have you reset the lamp timer? Sorry for butting in, but Eddie hasten posted in quite a while now. You see the lamp timer is a small program built in your TV that keeps track of the amount of hours that the lamp is in use. When it reaches a certain limit it will shut the TV for security reasons. Here are the instructions on how to reset it.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=1050
Knowledge is the one true power

61snowrider
Contributor
Contributor

Postby 61snowrider » Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:05 am

Crowell thank you for jumping in. I will take all the information I can. Your idea is good. I don't think the lamp was ever reset. I need help!!
I used thet original remote for the tv but nothing comes on the screen. It clicks and tries to come on but nothing. It cycles through 3 times like normal and shuts down. We tried both mute and menu 182 + power but it would not work. It is a Samsung DLP HL-R4667W. We then tried to hold down the mute button while pushing the 182 + power but still nothing would come on. Please tell me how to do this the correct way. Thanks

ChubbsTech
TV Wizard
TV Wizard

Postby ChubbsTech » Tue Jun 15, 2010 3:17 pm

Hello 61snowrider.
Ok, the correct sequence is: first push Mute, then release it, now almost immediately go for button 1, now 8, next 2 &last Power. Remember that you don’t need to press two or more buttons at the same time, the correct way is one at a time in the above sequence and fairly quickly. If this doesn’t work try Menu (instead of Mute) then 1, 8, 2 & Power.
Good luck.
Remember Knowing Is Half The Battle !

61snowrider
Contributor
Contributor

Postby 61snowrider » Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:37 pm

I am not this stupid. But it still will not bring the timer menu up. We tried it several times and I even put the old lamp in to see if that would make a difference but it didn't. The globe should have nothing to do with it, right? The remote is the right one for the tv. It lights up every time we push a button. The tv responds when we push a button, it lights up. What else can I do?

ChubbsTech
TV Wizard
TV Wizard

Postby ChubbsTech » Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:10 pm

Hello again 61snowrider.
Ok, assuming that you have pressed the sequence correctly, the TV responds to the remote, the batteries in the remote are good and that you’ve didn’t install a Chinese brand bulb. Then the problem with the TV wasn’t the lamp to begin with, before the TV shut its self off, did you get any picture distortion? when you try to turn on the TV, do you hear any strange noises coming from the back of the TV? Right now the main suspects would be the ballast (small board that regulates power to the lamp) or the color wheel (you might want to inspect it physically for any broken glass).
Hope this helps you out.

siroippp

Postby siroippp » Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:27 pm

I have a samsung HLP 5063 WX/XAC . I change the lamp BP96-00826A no voltage at the lamp ac or dc

61snowrider
Contributor
Contributor

Postby 61snowrider » Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:46 pm

thanks for your reply. Yes remote is all good. The new bulb is a Phillips. I looked at the 2 fans that I could see. They both turned freely. The tv is 4years 3 months old. Warranty ran out at 4 years. I did have a tech person change the lamp around 2 years ago while it was under warranty. I don't recall him resetting the lamp timer. I saw no broken pieces in the chassis. it makes no strange noises when trying to power up. A few weeks ago the tv acted weird. It took the full size picture and downsized it to the right corner 1/4 of the screen. Turned tv off anad unplugged it and back in and it was fine. Only did that once. It did shut itself off several times though in the last few weeks. Then the 3 light indicator came on indicating new bulb so that is what I tried. The picture was always perfect, never went bad or distorted. Any more suggestions?

61snowrider
Contributor
Contributor

Postby 61snowrider » Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:01 am

Does anyone remember where the site is on how to replace the ballast on a samsung dlp tv model HL-R4667WAX/XAA ? And where is a good place to buy these? THanks

Crowell
Tech Junkie
Tech Junkie

Postby Crowell » Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:14 pm

Have you cleaned the inside of the TV? There is a small chance the problem is overheating. You mention there were no broken pieces on the chassis. But did you look at the color wheel? Here is a small reference guide on where to locate it. viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1315 if the color wheel seems ok, then I would go for the ballast.
The ballast is located near the lamp. If you follow the cables from the lamp connector you’ll be able to locate it. Here is another reference guide (it’s from a Toshiba, but so you can get an idea). viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1528
Made a search on D-M and found they have one Samsung ballast http://www.discount-merchant.com/Search ... ng+ballast

ChubbsTech
TV Wizard
TV Wizard

Postby ChubbsTech » Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:25 pm

61snowrider, there is a guide on the fixyourdlp blog for a Samsung ballast http://www.fixyourdlp.com/guides/samsun ... 00033a.php but im not sure if it’s the same one for your TV.
But before you buy the ballast make sure you inspect the color wheel, just in case.
If you have any other questions, feel free to ask.

ChevyTime

Postby ChevyTime » Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:36 am

New at this and need some help. I have a similar problem in that my HLP5063wxxaa won't turn on. Replaced the second lamp and replaced the ballast. I have 320vdc at the ballast but not sure about the 5vdc or where to check for it. I do not hear the color wheel spin and varified that by unplugging the fans to hear. definately no color wheel spinning. I replaced the color wheel last summer and it has run without issue until about 2 weeks ago. When plugged in, the tv sounds like it is trying to turn on by way of the clicking (not at the ballast) and the audio makes the "turning on" sounds. The lamp never comes on or tries (lamp led blinking duing this time). After about 15-20 seconds the tv shuts down and starts another time. The tv shuts down after another 15 seconds or so with all three leds blinking. Does anyone have any ideas what needs to be changed next? I have been told by a local technician that my DMD board is bad. Is there another way to verify? Is there way to check if the color wheel is bad? I have read through many postings but I haven't seen anything explaining what to do with a tv that has my issues beyond the lamp and ballast. Thanks for any help.

ChubbsTech
TV Wizard
TV Wizard

Postby ChubbsTech » Thu Jun 17, 2010 4:13 pm

Hello ChevyTime.
First of all those 320v are perfectly fine, so that means the ballast is receiving the correct voltage. As for the color wheel, it is not necessary for you to hear the color wheel, a perfectly working color wheel doesn’t have to make any noise at all, my suggestion is that you take it out and look at it to see if there is anything wrong with it (shattered class or noise when you spin it manually). Another thing to watch for, if a fan is not working correctly (that includes disconnected), the fan sensor will not send the ok to the DMD board, so the DMD will prevent the TV from turning on for security reasons.
There are 5 main reasons why a TV won’t turn on.
1.- a bad lamp.
2.- a bad ballast.
3.- a bad color wheel.
4.- a bad power supply.
5.- one or more bad fans.
Other small possibilities are overheating (lots of dust inside), lamp door not closed, lamp timer.
Hope this helps you out.

ChevyTime

Postby ChevyTime » Fri Jun 18, 2010 2:46 am

Thanks for the information. To continue: I checked out the color wheel and found dust and what seems like a little resistance when I tried to spin it. With a few rotations it seems to spin freely but there does seem to be a little reistance to spinning if I hold the wheel just so. Maybe a little slop in the bushing. Not sure. If I'm having a power supply issue, where is the power supply located and how do I check it out? I have repalced the lamp, ballast and verified that the two fans are working properly. Is there more than one kill switch? Is there a way to varify which of the 5 items listed is the problem I'm having? Finally, how do you reset the lamp timer if you can't turn the tv on? Stupid question I know. Thanks again for your help.

robinthehouse
Contributor
Contributor

Postby robinthehouse » Tue Jun 22, 2010 3:22 am

Hi,
I have Samsung hl50a650c1fxz and I was having trouble because my DLP would turn off and on until I unplug it from the wall. The next day the DLP would turn on for 3 seconds with no picture and then just turn off with the red and green light turning on .I was recommended to change the lamp, so I bought a new lamp (phillips) and it installed by the videos. The DLP does the same, it turns on with the fans for3 seconds and then then just turns off with the green and red light turning on. I tried to change the connectors to the lamp thinking it would change but it was the same result. What should I do next????? Please help me, Im innocent Thanks Robert :roll:

Crowell
Tech Junkie
Tech Junkie

Postby Crowell » Tue Jun 22, 2010 4:19 pm

Since you have already replaced the lamp, have you cleaned the inside of your TV? This is to discard overheating as a probable cause. Another thing, have you closed the lamp door before turning it on? There is a blue switch that if not pressed buy the lamp door it will prevent the TV from turning ON. Another possibility is the lamp timer, if you haven’t tried it, here are the instructions: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=1050
Good luck.

Return to “Samsung Discussion”