Samsung HLR5667WX Does NOT Turn ON

Moderator: Angel

Forum rules
racerdreams
Contributor
Contributor

Samsung HLR5667WX Does NOT Turn ON

Postby racerdreams » Thu Jun 17, 2010 4:58 am

I have a Samsung HLR5667WX. It does not turn on :( I have been researching this forum but no one else seems to have my model number. I replaced the bulb first. Then quite working again and it gave me what my daughter calls the "mad face" :evil: you know where it has the two green lights on top for the eyes and the long red light on the bottom for the mouth. The I replaced the color wheel. Then it work for 3 days then gave me the mad face again. Then I took it apart again and really did not do anything and it work again for a day or so and gave me the mad face again. Then I looked at the forum and thought it may be dust on some components, so I blew compressed air and clean of all the dirt...then guess what...you guessed it...the mad face again. Sometimes I can unplug it for a bit and plug it back in and that will jump start it, but when I shut it off then it will not turn on again. One thing I have noticed is that when I have the cover off, and plug it in then the ballast makes a faint red light and a little clicking noises. Then it retries the power cycle and will make the red light and clicking again. It will not start back up again. I do not want to sink any more $$$$ into this TV unless I can for sure pinpoint the issue. PLEASE HELP.

ChubbsTech
TV Wizard
TV Wizard

Re: Samsung HLR5667WX Does NOT Turn ON

Postby ChubbsTech » Thu Jun 17, 2010 4:34 pm

Hello racerdreams.
My first question is, have you reset the lamp timer? The lamp timer is a small program on your TV that keeps track of the amount of hours the lamp is in usage, so when it reaches a certain limit, it will send a signal to the DMD that starts to shut the TV after a short while, thus preventing the TV to turn on most of the time. Here are the instructions: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=1050
Another chance is one or more fans might not be working properly, if so then the DMD is also picking up this abnormality, one last thing, did you close the lamp door before trying to turn on the TV, because there is a switch that if not pressed sends another signal of an abnormality to (you guess it) the DMD.
Hope this helps you out.
Remember Knowing Is Half The Battle !

racerdreams
Contributor
Contributor

Postby racerdreams » Fri Jun 18, 2010 2:44 am

Thanks for your feedback. Yes, i did replace the lamp timer from Approx. 17,000 hours to Zero. I also There are two fans to my knowledge; I left the back cover off and booted it up and both fans were blowing. I also took an air compressor and blew out all of the dirt on the fans and all components. When I plug it back in, when it intially cycles the "boot up" process there is a faint litle red light that flickers toward the rear of the balast. I removed the balast and I see no burned circuits or anything that would pinpoint a problem. Is the balast the same thing as the DMD?

ChubbsTech
TV Wizard
TV Wizard

Postby ChubbsTech » Mon Jun 21, 2010 3:58 pm

Hello again racerdreams.
The Ballast is not the same as the DMD board. The ballast just regulates voltage to the lamp, while the DMD board monitors the entire TV & administrates all the elements necessary to create a picture on the screen.
If you have any more questions feel free to ask.
Remember Knowing Is Half The Battle !

racerdreams
Contributor
Contributor

Postby racerdreams » Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:46 pm

Is there anyway for me to 100% know that it is the DMD? if it is indeed the DMD, how much are they and where is a cheap place to find them. I looked briefly and saw between $200-$500. I cannot see puttin more than $200 into this piece of #$%. I forgot to tell you that the reds on the screen (when the TV did work) work overpowering. Oh, also coinisidently enough we just recieved this below email from Samsung...are you aware of a class action lawsuit on this Samsung model:

Our records show you own a Samsung DLP television HLR5667WX/XAA.
Under a class-action settlement, you might be eligible for a free repair or reimbursement of the repair costs that you have already paid.
Please see the attached notice(Class Action Settlement Notice.pdf)
regarding the settlement.
For additional information, visit our web site www.samsung.com/dlptvsettlement,
or call 888-899-7602 between 9am and 9pm EST.

Thank you,
The Samsung Service Team

Crowell
Tech Junkie
Tech Junkie

Postby Crowell » Tue Jun 22, 2010 4:45 pm

I would suggest you try it, see if you qualify so Samsung repairs your TV, instead of trying on your own. Some times they exchange it for a new TV, or at least offer one with a grate discount, tell us how it all works out.
Knowledge is the one true power

racerdreams
Contributor
Contributor

Postby racerdreams » Sun Jun 27, 2010 5:15 am

It turns out the the class action suit offer that they emailed us was ONLY if the simtoms are "shadows or darker screen on the right or left side" or a line down the middle of the screen....which are not my issues, so I do not have a claim for them. ALTHOUGH, I made one last ditch effort before I went out and bought a TV. I banged really hard on the bottom of the TV directly under where the ballast it...Guess what; the TV kicked on! WTF! :o Could this issue be a loose wire somewhere?

Return to “Samsung Discussion”