Color distortion problems Samsung 61 inch model #H

Moderator: Angel

Forum rules
frogjuice1414

Color distortion problems Samsung 61 inch model #H

Postby frogjuice1414 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:45 pm

I hate this tv. I've had nothing but problems with it, but I got it for free, so I guess I'll live with it.
I have a Samsung 61 inch model #HL-r6167w. Anyway, when I first got it, I replaced the color wheel. About 1 month later, the lamp went out, and I replaced that. It has been working fine for about 1 year.
About a week ago, I started noticing a color problem with the set. First, random pink splotches started appearing around the screen. It started doing this randomly, and would randomly fix itself. It then started getting worse, and blue and green started appearing as well. It looked like an 80's music video. The bad color wasn't random though. It matched up perfectly with the tv program, just wasn't right. A weird part of this though is the bottom 1/4 of the screen was fine, perfect HD picture and no color distortion. Also, when I paused it, and went to my dvr menu, it almost looked like a circular pattern existed. It looked like a bullseye, which the center of the bullseye was in the upper right corner, and it extended across the screen. Also, the picture would randomly freeze, turn black for approx 5-10 seconds, then turn back on to the crappy color picture. This only appeared to happened after the set was on for approx 5-10 minutes, and it would then repeat this every minute or so. I tried using the remote, but it would not work. Every button I pushed would just cause the "temp" light on the front of the set to blink. I finally had to unplug the set to shut if off. The set would also automatically shut itself off after the freezing spasms (usually after about 10 of them).
After a few days of this behavior, the set got worse. The good bottom 1/4 screen turned bad as well, and the set no longer "fixed" itself. It froze more often, and would shut itself off more often.
Now it will not display any picture. The screen is black.
I have researched, and think the DMD board might be the problem. I took the back off, and the color wheel looked fine. Also, when turned off, the lamp shines out the back of the tv, but still no picture.
I am lost and would appreciate any advice. I don't want to buy an expensive DMD board if that is not the problem. Thanks in advance.

ChubbsTech
TV Wizard
TV Wizard

Re: Color distortion problems Samsung 61 inch model #H

Postby ChubbsTech » Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:12 pm

Hello frogjuice1414.
From all the symptoms you described its either one of two things: A bad Digital video board or a bad DMD board. My first recommendation before you buy anything is to clean the inside of your TV free of dust & mold to discard overheating as the source of your problem. once that’s out of the way, inspect the Digital video board physically, check for any swollen capacitors ( if you find any, you can replace them buy yourself), if no luck then look for a small button located on the board near the processor & memory chips on the Digital. Another thing you could try is that when you do get picture bring up the TV menu, see if it’s also affected by the weird colors. If yes then I would suspect it’s the DMD board that’s defective.
Hope this helps you out.
Remember Knowing Is Half The Battle !

Return to “Samsung Discussion”