Color Wheel and DMD Board Problems

Moderator: Angel

Forum rules
murphyCCC

Color Wheel and DMD Board Problems

Postby murphyCCC » Sat Jun 26, 2010 2:45 am

I have a Samsung HLR7178W with relatively low use (~6700 hours in about 4 years). Thanks to this board, I was able to diagnose a color wheel failure. Did not want to repair myself so contacted company that was used for two - yes, two - defective light tunnel replacements. Ordered color wheel and lamp. Technician removed the color wheel and discovered that it was indeed broken with part of it shattered. Technician installed the color wheel and tried the tv. Result was very low color. He says that I need a DMD board and that this will be very expensive (he did not have a price - will have to get back to me on Monday). He said that there is a possibility that he can order a board without the chip as the chip seems to be fine. Asked about cause, he said the board likely overheated and caused the color wheel to spin excessively fast and shatter.

What can you tell me about board failure, causes, etc. and whether it is worth replacing the board? Should I get rid of this TV or, if reasonably priced, should I repair it? How long can a replacement board be expected to last?

Thanks!

ChubbsTech
TV Wizard
TV Wizard

Re: Color Wheel and DMD Board Problems

Postby ChubbsTech » Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:41 pm

Hello murphyCCC.
My first question is; did you order the correct color wheel? You see when you install a color wheel of a different part number some times the color are not as bright. How ever if the intensity of the picture is dim (whites and blacks also seem dim) then there is a possibility it might be the lamp that about to go out.
Hope this helps you out.
Remember Knowing Is Half The Battle !

murphyCCC

Re: Color Wheel and DMD Board Problems

Postby murphyCCC » Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:05 am

Return to “Samsung Discussion”