Samsung-is it the bulb or the ballast?

Moderator: Angel

Forum rules
dirtnap
Contributor
Contributor

Samsung-is it the bulb or the ballast?

Postby dirtnap » Sun Aug 08, 2010 4:37 pm

I have a Samsung DLP HLR5067WAX/XAA. I have read the postings and am not quite clear on the symptoms of the clicking, power surge sounds (I hear none of these).

I had the light engine replaced about two years ago(under warranty) along with the color wheel and the lamp by a local authorized Samsung service center. This corrected the Samsung defect known as the black stripe and the set turning off on it's own and random times.

The unit has started shutting it self off again. Last night the unit ran for several hours and then shut off. When trying to turn it on it died again after booting up. I unplugged the power cord and let it sit for about 5-7 minutes and turned it on, it ran without incident. These events started a few days ago. The set would turn off, I hit the power button and it would come back on without incident. Now it seems the need to cool down. With the lamp being replaced 2 years ago, could it be going out already? Is there a way to test for ballast issues? I have read the replacement directions in this forum and feel confident that I can replace it, I want to make sure that is the issue.

Thanks much for the information thus far, any direction would be great.

Kentb53
Likes to Post
Likes to Post

Re: Samsung-is it the bulb or the ballast?

Postby Kentb53 » Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:21 pm

dirtnap
Contributor
Contributor

Postby dirtnap » Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:40 am

Thanks,

I'll give the Ballast fix a try.

johnrot
TV Repair Jedi
TV Repair Jedi

Postby johnrot » Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:47 pm

Hi dirtnap

I highly recommend you to replace the lamp first, most of the time if the ballast is not working properly it will make noises it could be a humming like electricity or rappidly clicking, these phillips lamps last from 6000-8000hrs ( the lamp replaced it was a phillips lamp???) so i recommend you to pay attention to the noises and anyway you will need a new lamp soon so you can have that one as a spare, hope this can help you :ugeek:
[b][color=#BF00FF]WE ALWAYS LEARN SOMETHING NEW[/color][/b]

dirtnap
Contributor
Contributor

Postby dirtnap » Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:58 pm

Thanks for the reply. Do you really think it could be the lamp after only 2 years? The last lamp was installed by a factory service shop here in NV, the lamp previous was the original and lasted at least twice that amount. I don't want to get the ballast if that is not the problem, is there another way to verify between the two issues? No clicking, just turns off. This am after 45 minutes, last night ran for two hours or so. Thanks again.

dirtnap
Contributor
Contributor

Postby dirtnap » Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:36 am

Thanks for the advice, I pulled the back of the set off and removed the lamp, I could see the filliment hanging by a thread so the lamp is bad for sure.

I'm ordering tonight.

Gregg

Return to “Samsung Discussion”