Humming Noise on HLP6163WX - Dying Fan?

Moderator: Angel

Forum rules
stever
Contributor
Contributor

Humming Noise on HLP6163WX - Dying Fan?

Postby stever » Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:41 am

This may have already been covered but I am hearing a humming sound when I turn on the set. It just started and I have a feeling it's a failing fan. Does anyone have any input about this sort of thing? I'm betting that the lamp is going to overheat if I leave it on (which I haven't)...

It's a Samsung HLP6163 WX-XAA and I haven't had any problem ever except to have changed the lamp a while back. Great set and I'd like to fix it.

darkart77
Tech Junkie
Tech Junkie

Re: Humming Noise on HLP6163WX - Dying Fan?

Postby darkart77 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:51 pm

That can potentially be the ballast board, "it powers up your lamp"
Unfortunately samsung, has a very bad rep for defective ballast boards.

stever
Contributor
Contributor

Postby stever » Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:08 pm

I've had the set for 6 or 7 years. I can't complain.

Is there any sure way to tell if it's the ballast?

darkart77
Tech Junkie
Tech Junkie

Postby darkart77 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 7:06 pm

the thing with the ballast is that it will cost you more to have tested than to replace it. Keep in mind that it is a consumable part
so....Im leaning for the ballast.

stever
Contributor
Contributor

Postby stever » Mon Aug 16, 2010 7:49 pm

All righty then... :)

From what I've read and seen on youtube, the sound I'm hearing can't be the color wheel because it's not nearly as high-pitched as what I heard. The lamp is actually still working so I guess I caught this early enough. Aside from the humming sound, the unit appeared to be working. I shut it down though, rather than wait for something like the lamp to overheat or get damaged.

I have the HLP6163WX. I guess I can unscrew the back and look at the board to see which ballast board to order.

Part Number: BP96-00690A is an 'updated' ballast that is $12 more than the old Part Number: BP47-00016A.

darkart77
Tech Junkie
Tech Junkie

Postby darkart77 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:45 pm

The color wheel's symptoms are usually a mechanical humming noise, a scritching loud noise. the image can also turn back and white and then there can be other symptoms.
The color wheel itself can be undamaged and the air barring can be rotating the wheel at the wrong RPM.

stever
Contributor
Contributor

Postby stever » Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:33 am

So I took off the rear panel, removed two set screws in the thought that i'd find it easy to remove the ballast board. My initial take is that it isn't anything like changing the lamp or replacing the lamp assembly.

This seems quite a bit more involved. Am I missing something?

Been looking for hours now and I can't find anything anywhere that explains how to change the ballast board.

darkart77
Tech Junkie
Tech Junkie

Postby darkart77 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:02 pm

I found this video, It's not for your particular model but the procedure is the same.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jr_9A5Xd2Q
I hope this can be of help.

stever
Contributor
Contributor

Postby stever » Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:50 pm

I really appreciate all the advice and assistance. :D

The video was dead on and I now can get to whatever I need to change. It seems like it has to either be the color wheel or the ballast. I was leaning towards the ballast since the sound I hear isn't remotely high-pitched but is more of a loud humming. Before I go and order an $80+ ballast board, I just want to add something to better be sure it's the ballast.

When I power down the Samsung, the sound slows down and then stops. It's not an on/off sound but it gradually slows to a stop. I'm not all that technical when it comes to this stuff but I am wondering if that would be a symptom of a bad ballast board. I am doubting it's the color wheel since the color is fine. From what I've read, the main components are the color wheel, the ballast and the lamp/assembly. This isn't the lamp.

Any more hints? When I get home tonight, I'm going to turn it on again and try to focus by ear. Unfortunately, it won't turn on when the panel is open.

darkart77
Tech Junkie
Tech Junkie

Postby darkart77 » Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:15 pm

the best way to tell I think is thinking of the noise you hear and well, If it seems to be a mechanical noise like a CD spinning real fast high pitch noise and creetchy sound. I'd say is the color wheel.
But remember that your color is fine and the ballast usually goes out before the color wheel.

stever
Contributor
Contributor

Postby stever » Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:47 pm

that's the only thing that is confusing. it does sound like a mechanical noise... especially when it slows down. But it's not high-pitched or screechy. I'll listen again this evening and post the results. Thanks again!

darkart77
Tech Junkie
Tech Junkie

Postby darkart77 » Thu Aug 19, 2010 4:15 pm

If you can hear it slowing down, winding down it most likely be the color wheel. if it were the ballast once the power is off there will be no winding down.

stever
Contributor
Contributor

Postby stever » Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:53 pm

Well then it is definitely the color wheel because it does slow down... I was leaning towards the ballast because there is no issue with the color at this point, just the sound. And it is a nasty sound...

Are there any other suspect parts besides the ballast, the lamp/housing, and the color wheel?

I guess I'm going to hunt up a color wheel replacement guide...

stever
Contributor
Contributor

Postby stever » Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:17 pm

Well... Now I need to figure out which type of color wheel I have... then get the replacement part... i saw a few posts that seem to say it's not an easy swap... have you ever done it?

stever
Contributor
Contributor

Postby stever » Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:50 pm

I ran the set for almost two hours yesterday. The sound never stopped and the color seemed to be okay. But I'm just about positive that it's the wheel. The sound is definitely mechanical and I guess I'm going to take a stab at replacing it. I'd like to do this before the start of football season. ;)

Next thing, I guess, is to take off the back and remove the existing wheel so I know what I'm replacing.

Thanks and I'll keep you posted.

stever
Contributor
Contributor

Postby stever » Sun Nov 14, 2010 5:46 pm

So here I am, 4 or 5 months later and I'm still watching the Samsung DLP... haven't fixed it. The humming sound is still there. The color isn't diminished. The picture is still bright. I've been waiting for something to break but it hasn't happened.

The way the set is installed, the humming sound is in a small vestibule to its rear. As long as the volume isn't muted or really low, it's not a big deal. And this isn't our main television.

I'm hoping it lasts through the football season since the missus prefers that I watch on this set.

*smile*

Return to “Samsung Discussion”