Why are Philips lamps better than "Generics"?

Moderator: Angel

Forum rules
grayfox
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Why are Philips lamps better than "Generics"?

Postby grayfox » Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:40 am

Hello everyone,

I have been repairing TV's for a while now and I cannot seem to understand why people are putting down the "Generic" lamps over the Philips brand? Being in this market I want to know as much as possible since these are popping up more and more on eBay at lower prices and I just want to do good by my customers who bring their TV for me to repair in good trust.

I have been under the impression these are made to the same specs? The more I know the better service I can grant, all help is appreciated! :D

Thank you! :geek:
[img]http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100421222828/ssb/images/thumb/1/18/MetalGearSymbol.svg/50px-MetalGearSymbol.svg.png[/img]Unit Foxhound

admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Why are Philips lamps better than "Generics"?

Postby admin » Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:25 am

Hey Grayfox,

OEM lamps for both your RPTV and projector are better to use for a number of important reasons.

1. Generic lamps are tempting because they are sold cheaper but they actually end up costing you more, particularly since they have about half the life span of OEM

2. Copy cat manufacturers don't have the same components to create the correct reactions so they often use toxic materials to get the same effect. One material they use is Krypton-85 that actually causes cancer.

3. The other concern is protecting your eyesight. While OEM lamps have proper UV reflectors to protect your eyesight, knock-off compatible projector lamps don’t have these safeguards and don’t offer any kind of protection. You can damage your eyes using these lights.

4. Like your projector, OEM lamps have some sophisticated technology that took Philips many years to develop. DLP Projectors use high pressure to generate light and this pressure needs to be controlled inside the lamp. Generic lamps have not been calibrated to the exact wattage so are prone to explosions.

5. Generics also haven't been calibrated to the work with the sensitive electronics in your projector so can damage the optics. Unfortunately, once you install a generic lamp, your projector warranty is voided and should the lamp damage your projectors components, you are out.

6. There are no refunds with generic lamps and there is no technical support.

Keep your RPTV and projector working at optimum levels and go with an OEM lamp. It's worth the bit of extra money. Check out Discount Merchant to find your OEM lamp at a good price: http://www.discount-merchant.com

Read more about the dangers of generic lamps:

http://www.fixyourdlp.com/2013/07/11/your-eyesight-at-risk-with-generic-1080p-projector-lamps/

http://www.fixyourdlp.com/2012/10/24/look-for-the-seal-of-approval-when-buying-projector-lamps/

http://www.fixyourdlp.com/2012/08/20/consumer-alert-the-dangers-of-rptv-generic-lamps-2/
[i]"Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today."

-Mark Twain[/i]

JJP
Contributor
Contributor

Postby JJP » Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:42 am

Hi Grayfox and folks,

I just found your forum and there is loads of great information. I won't every buy another generic lamp. I was stoked thinking about the money I saved by buying a cheap generic lamp on Amazon that was listed as a compatible. After 20 hours the lamp exploded inside my BenQ projector and what a hassle to clean up. Somebody told me these lamps can also destroy the projector's optics. I guess I was lucky but never again. The savings were not that great and of course, try getting a refund from some manufacturer in China. Stay away from generics! ;)

JJ Patterson

Louisa80
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Louisa80 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:15 am

I made the mistake of buying a "compatible" lamp trying to save money. I couldn't believe it when it arrived. The packaging had bad English and obviously photocopied labels. The end of the lamp had glue all over it and a funny smell. I sent it back right away and was lucky enough to get a refund. I thought I was buying a legit lamp but unless the company is based in the USA and you can call and speak to someone, there is no way to telling what you are getting. Can anyone recommend a trust worthy place to buy my projector lamps? I'm kind of turned off buying them from the Internet.

Thanks for your help,

Louisa

grayfox
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby grayfox » Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:38 am

Thank you very much, I am sorry to hear of the negative experiences, I guess you really do "get what you pay for"..! :shock:
[img]http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100421222828/ssb/images/thumb/1/18/MetalGearSymbol.svg/50px-MetalGearSymbol.svg.png[/img]Unit Foxhound

guitarman058
Contributor
Contributor

Postby guitarman058 » Sat May 31, 2014 4:07 pm

Just getting my 2 cents in. I have a Samsung DLP 67"I did get an an after market OSram, as far as I am concerned this is an ok DLP bulb, but after it went out on me 2 1/2 years later I had the money and bought a Philips bulb. here is the skinnie the Philips DLP bulb last much longer and gives you a brighter and better looking picture.

Special note there are the China made DLP bulbs they are junk some times gone in 6 months and heard stories, not varivied bulbs blowing up in the unit after replaced. ONLY BUY PHILIPS BULBS they are not all that much more, but if you can not buy OSram the next best thing.

Later

Howard
[size=150]guitarman058, (Have a great day smile and pass it on)[/size]

[img]

[/img]

Return to “Samsung Discussion”