Moderator: Angel

Forum rules
reagan
Contributor
Contributor

Samsung DLP white dots fix?

Postby reagan » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:27 pm

Hi,

I just got a great Samsung 60" DLP and it has white dots all over the screen. They look like dead pixels on an LCD but this is a projection TV. Before joining this forum I had a local tech tell me his service center would try the most common part in line first and then start charging for every part after that until it was fixed! That first part is obviously a new lamp, then ballast and after cleaning of the interior and blowing out all of the dust, maybe even a colorwheel. Essentially every part until the bill racks up. The last thing they will replace is the board they already know is defective, but by that time they will have billed me for about a grand.

I have been on the forums for about an hour, reading posts about the exact same problems with many TV's. I know members have helped many users into getting down to a DMD chip problem, I just wanted to see if anyone would help me directly just to make sure and I do not perform an unnecessary DMD chip replacement.

I also wanted to share my experience with local technicians.
"There are no easy answers' but there are simple answers..."

-Ronald Reagan

ovadoggvo
Master Technician
Master Technician

Re: Samsung DLP white dots fix?

Postby ovadoggvo » Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:01 pm

Reagan,

Can you please post the model of your Samsung DLP Television? Also, if you can post the Lamp Code of the TV (Or the Samsung Part Number) that your TV uses it would help.

I look forward to your response.

reagan
Contributor
Contributor

Postby reagan » Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:15 pm

Hello ovadoggvo,

The expired warranty card mentions this is a HLT6156WX/XAA but the TV says just HLT6156WX on the back. I removed the lamp as instructed on a similar post for this model. Both the lamp itself and the "model sticker" mentioned on the side of the TV match as BP96-01472A. Since they are both the same I do not know if it is the Lamp Code or the Samsung Part Number?

Thank you

-Ronald Reagan

ovadoggvo
Master Technician
Master Technician

Postby ovadoggvo » Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:42 pm

Reagan,

Thank you for the model information! The HL-T6156W and HL-T6156WX are essentially the same thing. The /XAA at the end of the model means that Samsung sold that DLP Television into the USA Market (Americas). The BP9601472A (P) also is the correct corresponding lamp code for your Samsung's replacement lamp. Hopefully if you have ever change the lamp inside your TV, you've done so with an original Philips brand lamp. Since these TV's are using an Elliptical lamp, the alignment of the lamps "focal point" is very important to making sure that you television internals (including DLP chip/DMD Board) don't get damaged because of a decentered lamp filament.

I have a few more questions for you:

1 - Do the white dots appear in all inputs?

2 - Do the white dots also appear on the menu screen?

Please advise so we can diagnose your Samsung HLT6156WX/XAA further...

grayfox
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby grayfox » Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:43 pm

Hey Reagan,

I would be happy to help. Has this TV been acting this way since you acquired it or was it working ok? Can you describe the white dots and any other malfunction in a little more detail?
[img]http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100421222828/ssb/images/thumb/1/18/MetalGearSymbol.svg/50px-MetalGearSymbol.svg.png[/img]Unit Foxhound

reagan
Contributor
Contributor

Postby reagan » Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:08 am

Thank you for the help Ovadoggvo,

So I have never changed the lamp inside this TV. I took the lamp out and I do not see any indication that this is an original Philips or Elliptical lamp, what do I look for? What does the (P) stand for in the model code?

The answer to both your questions is yes. The white dots are on the screen on all of the digital inputs and analog inputs. The menu and other TV prompts like the volume and channel number are also affected.

Grayfox,

The screen has white dots that have been present since I got the TV from a second hand vendor. At first it was only a couple of pixel looking dots, but with time they started to spread and randomly cover more and more of the screen. It has been shut down for some days now since the white dots only seemed to "multiply" when TV was on, I did not want to get to where I could not repair the TV if I needed to read the screen during the repair process. Thank you!

-Ronald Reagan

ovadoggvo
Master Technician
Master Technician

Postby ovadoggvo » Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:30 am

Reagan,

First to answer your questions - to differentiate a genuine Philips lamp from a generic or counterfeit Philips lamp you can look here:

http://www.lighting.philips.com/main/application_areas/projection/brochure/IP_Brochure/

It's a great explanation on how to tell a genuine lamp from counterfeit. Counterfeit or generic replacement lamps can make it difficult to troubleshoot the TV due to the high risk of defect. Defects can cause intermittent issues as well as damage to the core of your television include the DMD board or DMD Chip which controls the television.

With all the above being said, I believe that the following blog can really help you with your TV:

http://www.fixyourdlp.com/2012/05/08/samsung-tv-white-death-problem-can-be-solved-for-under-230/

Essentially the white dots are caused by defect in the DMD chip. The above blog is not for your television model, but essentially the routine for replacing it is the same... The correct replacement part for your TV will be the 4719-001969 chip which has the numbers 1910-6003W printed on the chip... Here is a link to the part and it's actually under $100 to replace:

http://www.discount-merchant.com/p-146846-samsung-4719-001969-1910-6003w-dmd-dlp-chip.aspx

The 4719001969 chip is located on the DMD board which controls the primary functions of the TV's display. For this reason when you press the menu button, the dots are still there OVER your menu display options.

I suggest you purchase that part and follow the replacement guide here:

http://www.fixyourdlp.com/2012/11/01/eliminate-white-dots-on-your-samsung-hlt6176sx-with-a-new-4719-001997-dlp-chip/

Let us know how it goes!

reagan
Contributor
Contributor

Postby reagan » Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:34 am

Thank you for being very thorough Ovadoggvo,

It took me some days to pretty much gather how and how long it would take to get my TV up and running before the Super Bowl. I took a good long look at the trouble shooting and guide to replace DMD links you provided, and it seems like something I can do myself. Thank you for the reference to the parts on Discount Merchant too, I found both the original Philips lamp and the DMD replacement chip plus overnight shipping and it did not even total 1/4 of the price that the tech estimated! I called in just to make sure of the compatibility you listed and they were dead on, I received them today and will begin installation after work. I am crossing my fingers this will be fully operational for gameday. My Alma mater is also looking good for March Madness, I do not want to miss one more game!!!

I will keep you up to date with the reparations, thanks.

-Ronald Reagan

reagan
Contributor
Contributor

Postby reagan » Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:25 pm

Hello Ovadoggvo,

So here is story, I believe to have successfully replaced the DMD Chip and Philips lamp correctly with your help and please keep in mind I am no DLP Technology expert! Let me tell you what I did.

I wore latex gloves throughout the entire process, they did not have any at Radioshack but the guy there said that any static free latex gloves would do for this so I went to Walmart. First I opened my DMD chip from Discount Merchant, the sticker on the box said it was a Samsung 4719-001969 / 1910-6003W DMD DLP Chip which seemed in line with what you had suggested. I then proceeded to take apart my TV and carefully follow every step like the guide mentioned. I found the old DMD at the heart of the TV. The shinny side referred to as "Digital Micro Mirror Device" in the guides, had some dark spots I believe in the same pattern as projected on the screen! That is, mostly gathered in the center, while the new DMD chip was clean and clear. There really was no way to install it the wrong way for much like a Phones SIM card it has one of its corners squared off. I replaced the board and every component down to the fans as they were, again step by step and double checked the connections. Next I put in the new lamp with a label marked BP96-01472A Philips lamp on the box, and shut the cover door. I did not replace the entire back cover, instead I tapped down the sensors like I saw on a YouTube guide and plugged her in.

I said a quick prayer and waited a bit then hit the power button and Yay, my TV was Spotless, Shinny, Vivid, and as good as new!

I moved the channels and volume around and everything was great. So I shut it off and returned to the back, removed the tape from the sensors, made sure every fan was spinning, and replaced the back cover down to the very last screw. I then turned it on again and got the same perfect blank screen, so I plugged in my inputs: one HDMI coming from the cable/DVR box, one HDMI coming from a PS3 (soon to be replaced by a PS4 when they're back in stock!!!).

I pushed the TV back into the corner and enjoyed some college basketball, watching how Oregon State beat Washington State last night, that feeling was priceless. I am very grateful for all your help and will recommend this forum to everyone I know who has a Rear Projection TV, that this is THE DYI place to go to if you really want to do it yourself, my working TV is proof of that.

Thank you.

-Ronald Reagan

ovadoggvo
Master Technician
Master Technician

Postby ovadoggvo » Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:50 am

Reagan,

Good job.. I'm glad you were able to get your Samsung HL-T6156WX DLP Television going again! I'm glad we could help recommend the parts and the replacement lamp to you that work. Hopefully your TV set will keep on truckin' for many years to come.

wingrider

Postby wingrider » Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:49 pm

My TV is rapidly developing the white dots on the screen. Can someone verify the DMD chip I need? Model code is HLT6156WX/XAA, Serial B33V3CKPB01094X, Version PF02. This website (http://www.tvserviceparts.com/HLT6156WXXAA.html ) seems to indicate there could be 2 different ones, one made before 10/2006, and one made after 09/2006. I purchased the TV in 2008.

grayfox
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby grayfox » Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:21 pm

Hello!

For your model HLT6156WX/XAA I went specifically to

http://www.samsungparts.com/partslist.aspx?Catalog=Parts_and_Accessories&Category=HLT6156WX%2fXAA

Where I get number 4719-001997 DLP CHIP

Note this is Samsungs go to site for parts, they have a drop down menu to choose the version, please visit the site for confirmation!

Hope this helps.
[img]http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100421222828/ssb/images/thumb/1/18/MetalGearSymbol.svg/50px-MetalGearSymbol.svg.png[/img]Unit Foxhound

Return to “Samsung Discussion”