HL-S5687 shutting down.

Moderator: Angel

Forum rules
Bryanteagan
Contributor
Contributor

HL-S5687 shutting down.

Postby Bryanteagan » Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:38 am

Hello, I'm in need of some help troubleshooting my tv.

It's the HLS5687, what's happening is after turning the tv on it shuts down after a couple minutes. While it's on I can't access the menu, turn up the volume, or even turn the tv back off. It will cycle a couple times on and off, with out any indicator lights to why it's shutting down, and that's all it's good for now.

Two weeks ago I bought a Philips lamp off of samsungparts.com and replaced the old. I've cleaned out the system of dust, and both fans work. I also jumped the door switch and the lamp thermostat, and it's still doing the same thing. Anyone have any ideas?

ovadoggvo
Master Technician
Master Technician

Re: HL-S5687 shutting down.

Postby ovadoggvo » Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:13 am

Bryanteagan,

I have a hunch on what the issue with your television, but the model number is not showing up.. Is the TV a HLS5687WX/XAA or HL-S6187W/XAA or something to that extent? I need the exact model number so I can look at the service manual to help you better.

Also, what is your lamp code? Did samsungparts send you an OSRAM or Philips brand lamp? Sometimes samsungparts sends out osram lamps or even generics... They are not really Samsung; rather a 3rd party company handling Samsung's replacement parts called J&J International out of new jersey... I've also come across a lot of counterfeits on Amazon.com and eBay.com so please be careful with where you buy your lamp. Many times I've had people throw out their TV's because and intermittent generic lamp makes troubleshooting difficult - and ultimately people make irrational decisions with their high end televisions.

Next, please let me know if after these "cycles" does your TV ever turn? Can you turn your TV on with the remote? Can you turn the TV off with your remote? Or does the button set/menu buttons on the TV's front panel work?

All of these can help me get to the source of the problem faster... I look forward to your reply.

Bryanteagan
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Bryanteagan » Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:54 pm

Thanks for the response ovadoggvo,

I've uploaded pictures of the lamp code and model tag on the back of the set. As far as the the lamp goes I bought it online from J&J international through Samsungs link. The paper work I got with the lamp says it's a DLP tv lamp ASSY/Philips. As far if it's generic or not I'm not completely sure, I hope it is because it was expensive comparable to other sites.

Now for the function of the tv, I can power it on with the remote and the console. While it's on I get picture and sound, but none of the function on the remote or the set will work 99% of the time. Then cycles on and off a couple of times before fully turning off. That other one percent I can get the tv to turn and all the functions on the remote and the console work, but it's rare that it will do so.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Bryanteagan
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Bryanteagan » Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:59 pm

Doesn't look like the pictures uploaded just in case, the lamp code is BP96-01472A (P132W) the model is HL-S5687WX/XAA

grayfox
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby grayfox » Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:29 pm

Hello Bryan,

It sounds like you got an original Philips lamp with housing, since the paperwork states this is a "DLP tv lamp ASSY/Philips". Just to make sure they sent you the correct lamp for that Samsung TV and help diagnose further with other basic points I have some questions.

On that same invoice, does it happen to have the lamp code that you mention BP96-01472A ?

The errors you mention do sound familiar, the remote you are using I assume is the one that came with your TV?

looking forward to getting your TV up and running
[img]http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100421222828/ssb/images/thumb/1/18/MetalGearSymbol.svg/50px-MetalGearSymbol.svg.png[/img]Unit Foxhound

Bryanteagan
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Bryanteagan » Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:29 pm

Hi grayfox,

Yes it has the lamp code on the invoice listed above. The remote is the one that came with the tv.

Thanks for your help grayfox

ovadoggvo
Master Technician
Master Technician

Postby ovadoggvo » Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:37 am

Bryanteagan,

The problem you are describing is most likely a defective/defunct Digital Board. The digital board controls the button set on the television as well as all the digital functions on the TV. When the Digital Board on your Samsung HL-S5687W fails, you normally get intermittent functionality as you describing. The digital boards used to sell on Discount-Merchant for about $80-$120 but I don't know if they still have any left.

The digital board also has the DNIe chip on it which controls the analog to digital conversion from the analog board to the Digital Board. Just as a reference, the digital board is where the HDMI plugs would be on your Television set (but look for the DNIe chip if you are taking it apart).

Sometimes going over the board with a heat gun or a hot hair dryer will resolve any cold-solder issues - but it's a long shot.

I know this isn't good news for you but if you can find the digital board on the market, then you got yourself a working TV set. Those HLS Series Samsung TV's are nice though.

Bryanteagan
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Bryanteagan » Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:46 am

Thanks ovadoggvo for all of your help! It's not as bad as I thought at least it's fixable. Do you know the part number on the digital board

ovadoggvo
Master Technician
Master Technician

Postby ovadoggvo » Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:40 am

Bryanteagan,

I believe the correct part number for the board is BP95-00444A... But I'm not sure if that is the part number for the Digital board or Analog board..

You are looking for the digital main board or digital video board. My google searches show BP9500444A being the one for your TV.

Hope that helps! Let us know how it goes if you find one.

Bryanteagan
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Bryanteagan » Sat Jan 18, 2014 2:34 am

Ovadoggvo,

Unbelievable! I just got home from my business trip. Couldn't find that part from anyone yet.. So I decided to try the blow dryer on the board. I couldn't believe it when I turned on the set, It worked!! the indicator lights actually worked notified me of the back lamp cover was off. All of the buttons on the set and the remote work. I have my nice tv back finally!

Just want to send a shout out to you for taking the time to help me couldn't have done this with out you!

Thanks again much appreciated

-Bryant Eagan-

ovadoggvo
Master Technician
Master Technician

Postby ovadoggvo » Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:58 pm

Bryanteagan,

Great! I'm glad the little hat-trick of mine worked!

If you get a chance leave my buddies at FixYourDLP and DM some good reviews for creating the platform for me to help you out...

Return to “Samsung Discussion”