72" DLP Continuous restarting

Moderator: Angel

Forum rules
camarokidz28
Contributor
Contributor

72" DLP Continuous restarting

Postby camarokidz28 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:11 am

I've been using the TV for about a year.

fell asleep with it on. Shut it off and went to bed. Next day turned it on and it is just continuously restarting. It restarted about 10 times before I finally unplugged it.

I did some digging and found a lot of people saying the power supply gets old and starts overheating causing this.

Well I bought a new power supply and put it in. No luck, same problem persists.

I have no error codes, only the lamp light blinks while the TV is turning on

While the tv is on everything is normal. Good picture. then just restarts

ovadoggvo
Master Technician
Master Technician

Re: 72" DLP Continuous restarting

Postby ovadoggvo » Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:09 am

camarokidz28,

Thank you for posting your issue here. I will do my best to try to assist you with your DLP TV. These Projection Television s normally have a boot sequence, and for me to be able to help you with your DLP TV, I would need to know a few details about your television:

1 - What is the Make, Model, and Date of Manufacture of your Television Set

2 - What is the part number of the replacement light bulb of your Projection TV? (This helps me in case there are multiple versions or country codes for your DLP.

3 - When was the last time the Lamp was replaced? Do you recall where you purchased the lamp?

With that information, I can help you diagnose further and give you proper advise with regards to your DLP Television problems.

camarokidz28
Contributor
Contributor

Postby camarokidz28 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:36 am

Samsung Model # HL72A650C1FXZA

I'm not sure what the build date is

this is the lamp I used I installed it in November 2012

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004B450XI/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

ovadoggvo
Master Technician
Master Technician

Postby ovadoggvo » Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:56 pm

camarokidZ28,

Uh oh... The lamp you purchased for your Samsung HL72A650C1FXZA DLP TV, if it was indeed that same link for "Electrified BP96-01600A Replacement Lamp with Housing for Samsung TVs" then I think we should definitely start there. The generic BP96-01600A lamp selling for $34 is probably at the heart of the issue. Those low-end Samsung BP9601600A replacement lamps are notorious for failing intermittently inside the Projection TV sets and from your previous post, it does not seem to be a power supply issue... I highly recommend ordering a Philips brand replacement lamp for your Samsung HL72A650 series TV from an authorized Philips dealer such as D-M or similar websites. The Philips replacement light bulb will also give you about a 30% brighter picture which is very very important for a 72" DLP TV where the projection size is so big.

I can have you start tearing into your Samsung HL72A650C1FXZA TV to test your power supply, ballast, and other components - however, at this point with the given information it seems to me that we should start at the basics. I recommend that you read the following post of another person that tore his Samsung DLP TV apart with my guidance only to find out that the bulb was the issue:

http://www.fixyourdlp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=1736366

The correct and RECOMMENDED lamp for your TV set would be the Philips brand option BP96-01600A(P) here:

http://www.discount-merchant.com/p-97-samsung-bp96-01600a-lamp-replacement.aspx

They may also be running some sort of Superbowl special this week. Please let me know how it goes so we can diagnose your beautiful 72" Samsung HL72A650C1FXZA DLP Television further if needed.

camarokidz28
Contributor
Contributor

Postby camarokidz28 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:34 pm

Isn't there an error code for failing lamps?

additionally is it common for a lamp to fail yet still function? The picture comes on bright and clear until it restarts

I have replaced the ballast and power supply already.

If I understood correctly when the tv doesn't recognize the bulb has lit the ballast will try to start it repeatedly. which it isn't doing. If you still believe it's a bulb I will purchase one but I'm trying to decide how much money to sink into this tv

ovadoggvo
Master Technician
Master Technician

Postby ovadoggvo » Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:16 pm

camarokidz28,

What I recommend if you have the BigBoy Samsung HL72A650C1FXZA DLP TV torn apart is that you first check the voltage coming out of the power supply and going into the Ballast board... The voltage should be 320V - 380V. This would mean you have a good working power supply. The power supplies function is just that and nothing more. If your old Samsung HL72A650C1FXZA supply was powering the bulb, the problem would definitely not be the power supply.

Regarding the ballast board. If your lamp is firing, and the ballast ignites the BP96-01600A replacement lamp - then your ballast is not weak nor is it the source of the problem. If you really want to dig more into it before ordering another bulb; the possible issue would most likely be originating from your DMD Board sending the signal to the ballast and power supply to turn on the TV. The DMD Board is the board that holds the infamous Texas Instrument DLP Chip which is the heart of the digital display. This board also does the monitoring of a few different sensors.

The Samsung HL72A650C1FXZA DMD Board detects a few things:

1 - Before power is injected - it checks the sensor for the lamp cover door. If lamp cover is on, it attempts to power on the TV by sending a pulse to the ballast and color wheel.

2a - Then When power is injected into the Big Boy Samsung TV set, it ignites the ballast. It gets a response back from the ballast letting it know that the Lamp has been powered on. If the ballast has powered on the lamp (completed the AC circuit by bridging the gap in the lamp burner) then it moves forward to boot. At this point, if the lamp can not ignite (or shuts off) the TV will shut itself off.

2b - At the same time the color wheel is powered on and there is a Mark Sensor on the wheel itself (black mark on the wheel) as well as a sensor board on the color wheel housing that senses the RPM revolutions of the Samsung TV's color wheel. If the color wheel reaches optimal RPM, the boot sequence moves forward. If the Samsung HL72A650C1FXZA DLP's color wheel can not reach optimal RPM - the tv shuts itself off.

3 - Once the TV is powered on, the Samsung TV's DMD board also monitors the temperature sensors located near the BP96-01600A lamp of the television set. If the temperature rises too fast or the HL72A650C1FXZA sensors show a rapid increase in temperature, then the TV will shut itself off.

If you believe that the lamp is not at fault, then I would start with checking the color wheel mark sensor (cleaning the sensor) and making sure the black mark is on the wheel... on some sets, the color wheel black mark is a sticker and at times may fall off. If the wheel is good, and you continue to have issues the DMD board itself or the Digital Board may be failing (the digital board controls the digital up-conversion as well as the remote control functions that may be triggering the power cycle). In this case, I would start with the digital board of the Samsung HL72A650C1FXZA DLP Television. If the digital board may be at fault, please look at this post below to resolve a cold-solder issue which is a little trick I learned in boy scouts that may work in 20% of the cases:

http://www.fixyourdlp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=1736372

As you can see above, the maze gets a little bit complicated and for you to dig into power supplies, ballasts, etc... the easy thing is to change the lamp first with one that is adequate. The one you purchased from Amazon is definitely a low-end replacement lamp for your Samsung BP96-01600A and may be causing intermittent issues - making troubleshooting very difficult.

Also, I would try to return the HL72A650C1FXZA power supply and ballast to where ever you purchased them from because they are clearly not the source of your Samsung DLP Television sets problem.

I have also attached a flowchart from the Samsung DLP service manual (a different model) that is much more vague than my description above. Let me know what you decide and how it goes!
Attachments
SamsungFlowChartTroubleshooting.pdf
(290.19 KiB) Downloaded 778 times

camarokidz28
Contributor
Contributor

Postby camarokidz28 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:24 pm

I originally bought the old power supply and ballast off ebay used. When I purchased the TV it would not fire up, I used the power supply and a new bulb and got the tv up and running.

If I do purchase a bulb and then it ends up being something much more expensive would I be able to return the bulb to Discount-Merchant? You seem to be very familiar with them

ovadoggvo
Master Technician
Master Technician

Postby ovadoggvo » Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:39 pm

I don't know their current return policy because I normally keep a few light bulbs on hand for spare. You would need to contact D-M to ask them about their return policy... Last I remember, there was a small restocking fee that they would charge.

You may want to take a look at the color wheel sensor as well. You can also try a generic lamp from them for a low price as well, but knowing that it may not last as long as the Philips. I'd trust them over the mentioned seller on amazon any day of the year...

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Return to “Samsung Discussion”