Troubleshoot.jpg
Troubleshoot.jpg (66.31 KiB) Viewed 14979 times

grayfox
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Re: Samsung HLT6187S screen black

Postby grayfox » Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:20 pm

Hello PDOM,

I do not have much experience with the Samsung LED DLP HLT6187/6189 series, but I am sure I can be of some assistance.

Thank you for the detailed break down! It will help a lot if we have to trouble shoot down to replacing more internal parts like the SMPS board. We would however, need to begin with the basics, like:

-when was the last time you changed the lamp on the TV and how long did it last?

-where did you purchase the lamp and did they guarantee it was a genuine Philips brand lamp?

The reason I ask is because the type of malfunction is caused very often by a spent or defective lamp. Seems like an obvious place to start. Now its worth mentioning for further knowledge that your DLP RPTV Samsung HLT6187S uses a Bulb Model BP47-00023A, can you verify this off the lamp code sticker on the lamp or owners manual?

Thank you and I look forward to getting to a resolution!
[img]http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100421222828/ssb/images/thumb/1/18/MetalGearSymbol.svg/50px-MetalGearSymbol.svg.png[/img]Unit Foxhound

PDOM

Postby PDOM » Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:50 am

Attachments
Normal and Bulging Caps.JPG
Normal and Bulging Caps.JPG (89.3 KiB) Viewed 14711 times
Sub SMPS.JPG
Sub SMPS.JPG (60.73 KiB) Viewed 14711 times
Main Engine.JPG
Main Engine.JPG (78.99 KiB) Viewed 14711 times

grayfox
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby grayfox » Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:20 pm

Hello PDOM,

You must have a newer version of this same model, when I first looked it up I found regular UHP Philips lamps for it, I did not find anything about LED's I apologize.

http://www.samsung.com/us/support/owners/product/HL-T6187S

http://www.samsungparts.com/lampadvisor.html

There is a guy at Discount-Merchant.com from whom I order all the time, I am sure you can return the item at no charge to you and get a full refund without a restocking fee, just call 800-281-8860 and ask for Angel let him know you were referred by Frank from FixYourDLP ok!

Now then, yes LED projection can be tricky, I do see that you point to the Projector Lens and mention "this is not a lamp" on your first image, maybe you got confused upon taking it apart, do you have an image of the actual LED light source you mention?

One more question, are those pictures of the actual capacitors on the board??? If so I have no doubt you can replace them and fire it up again.

Please keep us updated and good luck!
[img]http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100421222828/ssb/images/thumb/1/18/MetalGearSymbol.svg/50px-MetalGearSymbol.svg.png[/img]Unit Foxhound

def
Contributor
Contributor

Postby def » Mon Jan 12, 2015 1:55 pm

This receiver has no replaceable lamp. The light engine is LEDs. You can see that plainly from looking at the photo. There are three LEDs, ductwork, wiring and cooling fans...no wheel, no lamp. Now that some time has passed, is there any update as to the repairs needed and the final outcome?

I too have a Sam dLp, LED, 1080p that I just serviced (new dLp chip, $190.00). Mine is 50" and it now performs like new after a dLp transplant.

I am awaiting the Sam tech manual (they provide it on a USB drive) so I can perform alignment.

My suggestion is that those of us who perform this repair (new dLp chip) use care when working around the optical portion of this receiver. Be careful not to disturb the lenses, mirrors and other components in the optical path. This includes the screws on the DMD board usually covered by the removable white plastic covers. After studying the DMD board (where the dLp is mounted, the three magic screws likely adjust the co-planar parallel alignment of the dLp chip optical position to the first order mirror in the light engine. Also, when installing the new chip, don't overtighten the mounting screws. Hand snug is plenty. Overtightening may distort the DMD mounting leaving you with optical picture anomalies.

appleads
TV Repair Jedi
TV Repair Jedi

Postby appleads » Thu May 07, 2015 3:14 pm

Here's what I've done so far to fix a similar problem with my HLT6187s that I recently bought for a whopping $80. It died from dust. Seeing the bulging caps/capacitors on the sub power supply board located at the far right of the TV, I de soldered the old bulging caps out and replaced with new. Never did that before. Wasn't very hard. Re-installed when fixed. No change to tv. I then suspected the LED chips called Phatlights. Here's a great way to test your LED chip in these TV's. Buy a 9 volt battery. Pull the connector off the LED while still in place in the TV. Hold the two terminals of the battery up to the two blades of the Phatlight. Don't worry, even if you don't match + to + and - to - you won't hurt the LED, but you should match them to do the test. The + side is to the LEFT side of the LED next to the plug in connector. If the LED is good, it will light up and you'll see color coming from the big fat lens in the light engine assembly. My red LED is bad, but my other two LED's are good. I've ordered a new red LED for about $100. I will update this post to let you know if this solves my black screen problem.

appleads
TV Repair Jedi
TV Repair Jedi

Postby appleads » Sat May 16, 2015 9:03 pm

I promised an update and here it is. The new red LED arrived and I tested it using the 9 volt battery method mentioned above. It was working. I bought a little "heat sink grease" and spread that on both the LED and the copper heat sink, squeezing them together tightly and wiping off all the excess. I guess you want this layer as thin as possible. I re-assembled everything and VOILA. I now have a working TV. These LED versions are a little different from the lamp/color wheel varieties, but the picture looks as good or better and I'm hopeful that by keeping it clean and cool, it will last a LONG time. Good luck with yours if you have one. My total investment: $80 to buy. Red LED $101. Advice from Answer.com $23. Supplies (soldering iron, solder, canned air, cotton swabs, polyester duster, etc.) $25 at most. 2 new capacitors were less than $10. All in: $219. Find me another 61 inch set with a beautiful picture for anywhere near that price.

Return to “Samsung Discussion”