Help me trouble shoot HL-R6178W

Moderator: Angel

Forum rules
Sanjay

Help me trouble shoot HL-R6178W

Postby Sanjay » Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:24 pm

Hello, this is my first post.

I'm having trouble figuring out what is wrong with my Samsung HL-R6178W TV. I noticed the black colors looking a bit muddy for a few days, but didn't think much of it. I thought it was the dark movie I was watching. One day the picture wouldn't come on, and I could hear a loud revving sound. Increasing and holding, then a small decrease in RPMs, and back to increasing. My wife described it as "like one of the neighbors is running a shop vac." The 3 lights on the front were blinking. The lamp was not lighting up.

That sounded like color wheel to me. I replaced the color wheel. The loud revving sound was gone. The old color wheel was having bearing issues. It wouldn't roll very long, and it was squeaky.

Still no picture. Now the bulb would actually ignite and come on for a few seconds then go off. Then come on again and increase in brightness, but shut back off. Then the system would shut down and again with the 3 blinking lights. The current Phillips bulb was replaced about a year ago. The last 3 bulbs were on a 2+ year cycle, so I was not blaming the bulb.

I lurked on this forum for a while, gathering intel and per all the recommendations bought a new bulb. I bought a genuine Phillips again (BP96-01073a, E22 lamp).

The new bulb didn't make a bit of difference. The symptoms are all the same. I'm not noticing any abnormal sounds during the attempts to start up. What is the next part to throw money at?

I also tried bypassing the temp sensor - no change.

the ballast board is getting a solid 330V.

Cleaned all the fans and heat sinks. All fans are working.

summary:

No lamp ignition, loud revving sound.

- replaced color wheel, fixed revving sound.

Lamp lights for a short time at start up, no picture

- replaced lamp. no change.

What's the culprit???

grayfox
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Re: Help me trouble shoot HL-R6178W

Postby grayfox » Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:42 pm

Hello Sanjay and welcome!

Thank you for the detailed description of the TV symptoms, a couple of quick questions first:

-When you say you replaced the OEM Philips lamp did you do so with the BP96-01415A for Samsung HL-R6178W ? There are many generic bulb sellers that try to pass them off as original, trust me! What was the source of your purchase?

The next logical/cheapest step I would take would be to exchange the ballast. Now I know you tested the voltage and it was good, but the output to the lamp cannot be tested for its in many kV and can damage your meter! This Lamp Ballast is also a consumable part and 90% of the times a lamp doesn't fix the problem, and there are no symptoms, it is a ballast issue. These are actually recommended to be swapped for new ones when a factory replaces a lamp.

I can help you find one, they range in price, anywhere from 80-120 dollars. The only thing is you would need to remove the ballast and get me a part number from the actual board.. here is a link to a similar ballast replacement so you can begin to get an idea!

http://www.fixyourdlp.com/guides/samsung/bp47-00033a.php

I hope I can be of help!
[img]http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100421222828/ssb/images/thumb/1/18/MetalGearSymbol.svg/50px-MetalGearSymbol.svg.png[/img]Unit Foxhound

Return to “Samsung Discussion”