Samsung hlr4667wax/xaa dlp dmd board?

Moderator: Angel

Forum rules
matts6887
Likes to Post
Likes to Post

Samsung hlr4667wax/xaa dlp dmd board?

Postby matts6887 » Fri May 02, 2014 9:26 pm

I am having issues with this tv. About 2 months ago; my color wheel broke. Before it broke; the lamp, ballast; and color wheel were working fine. After i ordered the new one; I installed it; reconnected all the wiring and tried to power it up. But I got no spinning of the color wheel; no sound of buzzing from the ballast; and no lamp. I tried connecting the ribbon cable for the color wheel both ways; and still; I had the same problem where i heard nothing except for the click coming from the main analog board where the connectors for the cable/antenna are connected to; and the humming of the fan for the dlp chip and the bigger fan in the back of the component tray for the lamp. Is this a sign that my dmd board is bad since the dmd board provides power to the color wheel; and without the color wheel spinning; the ballast and the lamp cant fire? Unfortunately; i do not have a meter to test for voltages; nor can i afford one right now. Where should i head from here? thanks Matt

matts6887
Likes to Post
Likes to Post

Re: Samsung hlr4667wax/xaa dlp dmd board?

Postby matts6887 » Mon May 05, 2014 11:26 pm

Anyone.............anyone??

grayfox
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby grayfox » Tue May 06, 2014 6:41 pm

Hello Matt,

Sorry I had not stumbled upon your post!

I highly doubt the DMD board has gone since the last thing to fail was the colorwheel. This means the TV was working fin until the Colorwheel shattered correct?

if so I would make sure you have the correct colorwheel, which for the Samsung HLR4667 I believe the part number is BP96-00674A, is this what you ordered/installed?

Another thing after you describe the clicking and sounds and the failure to launch of the new colorwheel, (this gets me with most my clients with a bad colorwheel or ballast so I learned to check it first) would be to check the lamp, make sure it is not shattered, blown, darkened or fogged. The lamp (I am sure the model is a BP96-00826A with a Philips bulb) should be crystal clear, if it is, when was the last time you replaced it and from what source? These bulbs do not necessarily need to show physical damage or wear to be bad!

I hope I can be of any help, keep me posted!
[img]http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100421222828/ssb/images/thumb/1/18/MetalGearSymbol.svg/50px-MetalGearSymbol.svg.png[/img]Unit Foxhound

matts6887
Likes to Post
Likes to Post

Postby matts6887 » Fri May 09, 2014 9:49 pm

Well; I believe that the dmd board could be the only possible solution; as I am getting no buzzing from the ballast; and no lamp and no spinning of the color wheel. yes i am positive i bought the correct one as the listing for it on ebay showed it was for my model tv. I dont think its the lamp; as i took the lamp to a repair place and had the guy there test it; and when he connected it to a working set the lamp lit up just fine so no; I dont believe its the lamp and has to be something else. The part number that was bought was bp96-00674a so yes it is the one you mention. Another reason i do believe it is the dmd board is the fact that the color wheel is getting no power to it. And before anything is said; yes i did make sure i put the orange/copper colored ribbon cable in the correct way with the metal contacts facing toward the rear of the tray when the front part with the dmd fan is pointing toward you. And as far as the dmd board goes; from the way i understand it; the dmd board can still be bad even with the green light on it turning on when power is applied to it because apparently that light just indicates power or communication or something. I will know soon for sure whether or not the dmd board is bad as i bought a used but in working condition dmd board off ebay. So once i get that either hopefully tomorrow or monday; I will put that sucker in; put everything back together and hopefully(im keeping my fingers crossed that this is the issue) everything will fire up again for the first time in like 2+ months.

matts6887
Likes to Post
Likes to Post

Postby matts6887 » Sun May 11, 2014 3:00 am

Well; you could be right. I got the new(new to me but used and working) dmd board. Put it in; put everything back together; and again; stil got no lamp. Now i am left with the ballast or the lamp or both. Which could it be??

matts6887
Likes to Post
Likes to Post

Postby matts6887 » Mon May 12, 2014 3:16 am

anyone......anyone??

grayfox
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby grayfox » Mon May 12, 2014 6:53 pm

Hello Matt,

Sorry this can be frustrating I know, I fix these everyday!

Yeah something did not sound.. I do not know, complete about the DMD malfunction, it was a good guess I hope you can get your money back for the DMD!

When ordering a lamp just make sure you buy Philips brand lamps, those are the ones Samsung uses, they invented the technology, etc.

eBay has a lot of knock offs and again, I cannot remember how many times I have replaced ballasts only to have a defective generic lamp that worked intermittently!! SMH.

Anyways, For the aforementioned and now infamous new Colorwheel.. any chance you can get a replacement? I shared a useful link, I hope it helps, please keep me posted I check these forums and www.fixya.com on a daily basis, both to answer questions and to obtain help!

http://www.fixyourdlp.com/guides/samsung/bp96-01579a.php
[img]http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100421222828/ssb/images/thumb/1/18/MetalGearSymbol.svg/50px-MetalGearSymbol.svg.png[/img]Unit Foxhound

matts6887
Likes to Post
Likes to Post

Postby matts6887 » Tue May 13, 2014 4:23 pm

Well; the thing is I already replaced the color wheel for this tv; and its still acting like im not getting any power to the color wheel; which is why i had the thought of the issue being the dmd board because the dmd board provides power to the color wheel which in turn tells the ballast to fire; which should fire the lamp. I really dont think my lamp is my issue because as i said before; I took it to a tv repair place and had it tested; and the guy there somehow connected it to another working samsung dlp set and the lamp lit up just fine. I have looked at the lamp several times and i dont see any cracks, any burn marks; or anything else of the sort. And right now there is just no way i can afford a new original samsung replacement lamp as they are darn near 100 bucks which i dont have to spare right now. As for getting the money back for the dmd board; I dont think im gonna bother because at least I know i have a working dmd board and so thats ruled out as a cause. Im not sure if its the ballast because my original ballast looks ok as there are no burn marks or anything on it showing that it could be bad. Where do i go from here is the ?. Also; generally how often do ballasts go bad? Ive heard of at least 3 places locally that i have gone to that have told me the chances of the ballast going bad are pretty rare; but it can happen I know. so again where do i go from here. Also; this tv was a working display model; so it was used every day; so maybe it is possible the lamp is bad. talk about going crazy?; shoot....Im already there thanks to this thing lol.....Thanks Matt

matts6887
Likes to Post
Likes to Post

Postby matts6887 » Tue May 13, 2014 9:13 pm

matts6887
Likes to Post
Likes to Post

Postby matts6887 » Wed May 14, 2014 2:21 am

Actually; i just had someone whos more experienced at looking at dlp lamps than I am look at mine; and it looked to him like part of the lamp was in fact burnt; so it looks like once i get more available funds; I will have to get a new lamp because that appears to be the issue.

matts6887
Likes to Post
Likes to Post

Postby matts6887 » Fri May 16, 2014 4:24 pm

Question for me is; should i go with the more expensive lamp; which i know will last a lot longer; or just save a few bucks and buy the cheaper one which i know wont last as long and could cause damage to other components possibly?

grayfox
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby grayfox » Mon May 19, 2014 6:16 pm

Hello Matt,

Sorry I was out for the weekend, wow ok so then..

..after exchanging hundreds maybe thousands of lamps, I have to say for a Samsung which is a top of the line TV like that HLR4667 I would strongly recommend going with an original Philips. This is more expensive but it is the original that Samsung installs from factory, the Philips will last longer and be brighter (for reference again it is part BP96-00674A ). If you cant find an original source call my pals at discount-merchant.com I can vouch for them and guaranty they will ship original. You do not know how many customers come back upset because they order a generic lamp and it goes out on them in 2-3 weeks, I install and let them know they have ordered a generic but they just think I want to sell them a lamp! Anyways if you call D-M you can get 10% off and free shipping, just let them know you are being helped on FixYourDLP by George and you are my client, I order from them all the time!

Let me know how it goes, oh the number is 800-281-8860. If you get a random sales rep that cannot give you the discount just ask for Angel hes a Manager there

Return to “Samsung Discussion”