Color wheel cables available anywhere for HLR6168WX/XXA?

Moderator: Angel

Forum rules
KEENLALOU2
Self-Proclaimed Guru
Self-Proclaimed Guru

Color wheel cables available anywhere for HLR6168WX/XXA?

Postby KEENLALOU2 » Tue May 13, 2014 3:15 pm

Can anyone tell me if I can get a color wheel cable assemblies? For an HL R6168WX/XXA with a light engine number 61B; L680 61”-050809-18. The light engine side of the color wheel cable disintegrated upon disassembly. I pieced the individual connectors contacts back to the posts but the connection may not be allowing the color wheel get to speed or communicate with the brains to fire the lamp.

grayfox
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Re: Color wheel cables available anywhere for HLR6168WX/XXA?

Postby grayfox » Tue May 13, 2014 4:50 pm

Hello KEENLALOU2,

I hope there was no short to the DMD! But the cables are a smart place to begin with, sometimes rebuilding a wiring harness does not work for a number of reasons, one would think as long as a connection is made it would work. Sometimes the only way to make it work is to have the wiring diagram to see any splits or bridges, but those are impossible to get!

Ok so for the cables themselves I am not sure for the HLR6168WX/XXA I would try ebay, I know www.discount-merchant.com and www.shopjimmys.com sells them but I have been having trouble finding the ones I need in stock. I have had luck ordering similar model/same brand cable sets and finding the ones I do need. Here is an example of a large Samsung DLP cable set:

http://www.discount-merchant.com/p-111374-cable-connector-set-analog-video-board-for-samsung-hl-r5067w.aspx

I hope this helps, let me know!
[img]http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100421222828/ssb/images/thumb/1/18/MetalGearSymbol.svg/50px-MetalGearSymbol.svg.png[/img]Unit Foxhound

KEENLALOU2
Self-Proclaimed Guru
Self-Proclaimed Guru

Postby KEENLALOU2 » Tue May 13, 2014 10:16 pm

Thanks for the leads (url). Yes, agree I hope I did not short out the DMD inputs(?).

I guess, worst case is I'll have to by a color wheel assembly to get new cables. I hope they come that way. The pictures look like it is a complete plug and play. New color wheel is probably not that bad a thing for a 7 year old unit. Lots of hours.

Again THANKS

grayfox
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby grayfox » Tue May 13, 2014 11:17 pm

Glad I could be of help!

Well it depends on what the damage is like, if you get a chance could you upload a close up of the damage? Maybe we can do some splicing!
[img]http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100421222828/ssb/images/thumb/1/18/MetalGearSymbol.svg/50px-MetalGearSymbol.svg.png[/img]Unit Foxhound

KEENLALOU2
Self-Proclaimed Guru
Self-Proclaimed Guru

Postby KEENLALOU2 » Wed May 14, 2014 3:49 am

Basically the female miro-molex board edge connector fragmented when I attempted to remove from the slot. The rear side (rear of the TV) of the four wire connector (only using 3 wires) separated from the body. The best picture I have is pretty poor - but you might get the idea if you can magnify the attachment. That is the biggest piece left. The rest were just crumbles of plastic.
Attachments
IMG_20140416_095111.jpg
IMG_20140416_095111.jpg (1.37 MiB) Viewed 37024 times

KEENLALOU2
Self-Proclaimed Guru
Self-Proclaimed Guru

Postby KEENLALOU2 » Wed May 14, 2014 3:57 am

Cropped image of the remaining segment of the connector
Attachments
connector part segment.jpg
connector part segment.jpg (54.24 KiB) Viewed 37024 times

grayfox
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby grayfox » Wed May 14, 2014 4:47 pm

Oh I understand, this is off the DMD boards end right? not the Colorwheel?

KEENLALOU2
Self-Proclaimed Guru
Self-Proclaimed Guru

Postby KEENLALOU2 » Wed May 14, 2014 7:44 pm

Yes - sorry for the poor terminology.

It is the DMD board side of the cable.

KS

grayfox
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby grayfox » Wed May 14, 2014 9:01 pm

Uh-Oh! I do not think you can find the Female end on a cable set. It seems damaged beyond repair, but buying a new dmd board for a broken connector is a hard decision! Even if you get a new colorwheel you still wont be able to installing it.. do you have an image of how it came off hte dmd board to see if theres any salvaging it?

Good luck!

KEENLALOU2
Self-Proclaimed Guru
Self-Proclaimed Guru

Postby KEENLALOU2 » Thu May 15, 2014 5:39 pm

Grayfox; Etal,

The DMD side of the connector appears to be undamaged I'll try to get a close up - but pretty sure all the damage is to the cable side of the color wheel cable (ie. why I am looking for a new cable). Not really looking to incur the costs of a new DMD. If it get that far this box may be headed for the scrap yard.

Anyone out there have a dead color wheel with cable assemblies intact? I think I can swap out cables and not have to buy a new color wheel?

Let me know

Kee

grayfox
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby grayfox » Fri May 16, 2014 12:58 am

Oh ok ok the picture is more clear now.. Let me see if I can find one lying around from any shattered colorwheels I have exchanged.. if not, have you ever purchased a bulb or ballast from www.discount-merchant.com ? I buy from there so often they normally hook me up with random cables like that, and if they have your shipping info I can call in a favor!

Just a thought, I'll let you know if I find one I can drop it off in the mail I am in San Diego and everything is catching on fire right now!

KEENLALOU2
Self-Proclaimed Guru
Self-Proclaimed Guru

Postby KEENLALOU2 » Fri May 16, 2014 3:00 am

Ouch!!

Sorry to hear that. The fire and smoke look really ugly and way too early this year. Hope it is not too close to you. Daughter is up the coast a ways, San Louis Obispo.

No, I haven't purchase any thing from that source - yet - but if no cables around I may be in the market for a new color wheel soon.

If I recall from previous comments I think by you - they stock Samsung original parts. Correct?

Many, many "Thanks" for the assistance.

Best

Kee

KEENLALOU2
Self-Proclaimed Guru
Self-Proclaimed Guru

Postby KEENLALOU2 » Fri May 23, 2014 7:03 pm

Grayfox,

Did you escape the fires? They are now turning up in AZ. Not quite as dramatic and probably more expected.

Discount - Merchants were not able to provide a color wheel assembly (out of stock), and had no projected delivery time. And they were less than helpful on cable assemblies. Maybe you can do better.

I did not hear back I assume you were not able to locate a usable used cable assembly.

It is looking like new color wheel time. Like I said 8 or nine years old in Arizona's dusty atmosphere - likely time for a replacement anyways

Thanks for all the assistance

I will let you know what if any progress i mak.

Best

Kee

grayfox
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby grayfox » Tue May 27, 2014 5:22 pm

Hello,

Yeah thanks, just barely missed the fires I live in the southern part of SD! I can imagine how it got over there with the heat, my friend is in PX. Glad to hear you are ok.

I think I can get the wire from the junkyard of parts.. can you send a picture of the colowheel? I am sorry to bother but I just want to make sure I dig for the correct cable, some are different it is not a universal fit. If I find one I can send you a private message and ill ship it to ya from work ;) wont cost me a penny.. hopefully they don't read this Forum!

Hope the fires are out by now!

KEENLALOU2
Self-Proclaimed Guru
Self-Proclaimed Guru

Postby KEENLALOU2 » Thu May 29, 2014 5:52 pm

The unit is assembled right now.

I'll do a tear down and send pics

Best

KS

kee.semenuk@gmail.com

KEENLALOU2
Self-Proclaimed Guru
Self-Proclaimed Guru

Postby KEENLALOU2 » Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:02 pm

GreyFox

I finally got some time to get back to this project,

Here are pictures of the color wheel assembly,

The cable is pretty deteriorated on the color wheel side too. It is burned to a crispy critter.

Let me know if you have a reasonable used "spare"
Attachments
IMG_20140609_102336.jpg
IMG_20140609_102336.jpg (1.23 MiB) Viewed 35603 times
IMG_20140609_102404.jpg
IMG_20140609_102404.jpg (1.11 MiB) Viewed 35603 times
IMG_20140609_102255.jpg
IMG_20140609_102255.jpg (1.4 MiB) Viewed 35603 times

grayfox
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby grayfox » Wed Jun 11, 2014 4:47 pm

Hello again!

Thank you for the pics, I see nos you need the cable that goes to the rpm sensonr on the colorwheel, Samsung Parts website lists the BP96-01103A (if you could confirm that would be awesome) for your HLR6168WX/XAA. Unfortunately since it comes soldered into most I do not have any lying around sorry, I will take another look maybe there is one somewhere in my graveyard.. Worst comes to worst, I always have my Service Center discount with Discount-Merchant.com (its like 10% off, no tax and free shipping). Ill look around some more after work today and if you could please verify the part number for me, it should be somewhere on the actual colorwheel.

Cheers

KEENLALOU2
Self-Proclaimed Guru
Self-Proclaimed Guru

Postby KEENLALOU2 » Thu Jun 12, 2014 4:44 am

GrayFox,

Those are the same numbers I come up with for the color wheel assembly.

The only numbers I can find on the assembly are L6/BP6101024A#1.

I do not see anything else. Numbers may have been vaporized or cover by black and gray burned into the metal residue.

Let me know

Best

K

grayfox
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby grayfox » Thu Jun 12, 2014 4:32 pm

Copy that,

Let me see what I can find, that cable is soldered to the rpm sensor so if i find one it will be kind of a coin toss to see if the sensor works unless you can splice the new cable into your old sensor..

Well be in touch!

KEENLALOU2
Self-Proclaimed Guru
Self-Proclaimed Guru

Postby KEENLALOU2 » Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:59 pm

GrayFox

What you say may be true - but on mine that is definitely a connector on the color wheel assembly I have.

Learned my lesson about trying to separate the male from the female ends on the end that looked a whole lot better. Take a close look at that last posted picture and let me know. Yes the speed sensor cable is the broken one. Soldering those little tieny wires could be a challenge for old shaky hands.

Again let me know

Best

Kee

KEENLALOU2
Self-Proclaimed Guru
Self-Proclaimed Guru

Postby KEENLALOU2 » Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:10 pm

GrayFox

Well I broke down and bought a new color wheel. So, if you still digging through the refuse heap - you can stop ;-)! Discount-Merchant did not have any wheels when I checked and could not tell me when they expected any. Looks like they have some now. Oh well there goes my 10%.

The good news - the TV fired up on the first attempt. YEA HAPPY FACES AND DANCING!!!

The bad news - the dark band moved from the left side of the screen to the top. :-(

I am assuming I got a bad light tunnel, or I broke it in the install. I have not seen anything about an adjustment and the picture is up there just have a dull picture up there.

So any pointers on installing the next new light tunnel? And does your offer for discount on Discount-Merchant.com apply to another light tunnel?

Let me know

Best

KS

grayfox
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby grayfox » Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:50 pm

Hello!

And yay! (unfortunately I did not have any intact)

Well most of the times I replace a colorwheel and move the tunnel around i get a black band.. I usually don't put all the screws in the back cover until I find that I have adjusted every part of the light engine back into its place. Sometimes it takes me about 2 or 3 tries but after wiggling the tunnel correctly into place, the band is gone.

Maybe if you do the same and "rebuild" everything from the lamp tunnel to the light engine you might yield a good pic???

Keep me posted!

KEENLALOU2
Self-Proclaimed Guru
Self-Proclaimed Guru

Postby KEENLALOU2 » Thu Jun 19, 2014 4:29 pm

Wow

That does seem like it might be a less than desirable design.

Do you fully remove the light tunnel and re-install, or just kind of push the light tunnel around in the slot? Or is that an adjustment screw on the far end of the light tunnel slot, as opposed to a fixture screw?

I'll give the "wiggling around" a try or two and let you know

Best

KS

MikeL65

Postby MikeL65 » Fri Jun 20, 2014 7:19 am

KEENLALOU2 I read (few days ago)you needed the cable end (which i had) and was gonna send it to you ,I couldn't reply before to tell you UNTIL they activated my acct after waiting...waiting...waiting for it to happen, now i see i'm too late :-( . GL with the light tunnel when i removed the bracket screws my tunnel fell apart. I have a dlp hln567wx which a friend gave me recently.

KEENLALOU2
Self-Proclaimed Guru
Self-Proclaimed Guru

Postby KEENLALOU2 » Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:10 pm

MikeL65

Thanks for the efforts. Sorry to hear you had to wait so long, and me missing out on a part. I have a feeling it would have been a challenge to "make ends meet." Some pun intended.

GrayFox

It has been a while to get back to this project. Well - after a couple of trys I got all the darkness out of the screen and the picture looks like the day I brought it home. New light tunnel, new color wheel and while I had it apart a new light source. Now, I just have to hope the rest of the electronics and wiring hold up for a few more years. The wife will be very happy to get her dining room table (where the carcass has been sitting while I worked on the engine) back.

Thanks for all the help folks!

I will recommend this site to anyone who should ask.

Best

KEE

grayfox
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby grayfox » Fri Jul 18, 2014 5:35 pm

MikeL65, sorry your account did not activate in a timely manner, ill send the moderator a PM to stay on top of it.

KEENLALOU2, glad to hear everything worked out, I was almost certain it was just a light tunnel alignment issue.

Hopefully you wont have to post anytime soon but people are here to help! I am sure whomever runs into this same problem will find this thread very helpful!

KEENLALOU2
Self-Proclaimed Guru
Self-Proclaimed Guru

Postby KEENLALOU2 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:33 am

Grayfox

Well we do hope for good things!

But I may have been just a tad premature.

I have not searched yet - you may be able to send me into the correct stream.

Everything did looks just great when I was using the PC as the input on the bench emails and such. Now that I have the system connect to DVD and cable system I am having some issues getting a great picture.

Ii is difficult to express the issue - but I'll try. It is like I cannot get the skin tones correct. I get a bright zone that I cannot eliminate even with the contrast turned way, way down ( which tends to eliminate most of the issue on a still (paused) picture - but when I resume play or live feed I still have some "really bright zones. And something that looks lie color bloom or shadows appear in a darkened (what shroud be twilight evening) scenes.

Any thoughts?

Kee

grayfox
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby grayfox » Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:29 pm

Hello keen,

So if I picture your issue by that detailed description my thoughts keep coming back to a faulty or maybe misaligned colorwheel. Where you sure to place everything and tighten (not overly) every screw? The colorwheel listed by Samsung for your HLR6168WX/XXA is the BP96-01103A is this the item you purchased?...

Now that you mention inputs, do you get the same distortion on all inputs? try analog and digital ones.. oh and open up the OSD menu (on screen display), is it also affected by this distortion?

Just trying to rule out some components!

KEENLALOU2
Self-Proclaimed Guru
Self-Proclaimed Guru

Postby KEENLALOU2 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:33 am

Grayfox,

I'll slide the engine out is a day or two and check the torque and the color wheel alignment as best I can. Yes, I bought a reported samsung original 01103A.

I'll let you know what I find.

Best

KS

grayfox
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby grayfox » Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:42 pm

Hello,

before you do so please remember to test out every input or at least a Digital (like HDMI) and an Analog (like component) just to see if the distortion is noticed on both. And lastly the OSD, on screen displays, the TV menu, the volume bars channel number etc...

KEENLALOU2
Self-Proclaimed Guru
Self-Proclaimed Guru

Postby KEENLALOU2 » Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:16 am

Folks

It has been a while since posting. I had been hoping for better results.

The bad news is I found a broken mount on the Bakelite structure that supports the color wheel assembly. Not too sure if there is a fix, or a replacement. I have attempted to reattach the broken mount with a high temperature (250+ F) two part plastic adhesive, the structure appears to be stabilized - but the distortion is largely unchanged.

I will try to post a picture of the damaged mount.

I really thought I had the TV fixed until I discovered this issue.

Thoughts?

KS

grayfox
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby grayfox » Mon Sep 08, 2014 6:16 pm

Ouch sorry to hear that. I try to be as careful as possible when taking TVs apart because if so much as a screw mount brakes off a bigger piece of the assembly, a colorwheel can rattle its way loose..

Hope I can be of some help, if you have images of the damage please post!

KEENLALOU2
Self-Proclaimed Guru
Self-Proclaimed Guru

Postby KEENLALOU2 » Mon Sep 29, 2014 5:18 pm

Looks like a couple of posts may have been removed since our last comms. I'll attempt to post a low resolution picture of the damages. I am not sure if this is repairable at this point looking for opinions and replacement parts now - if possible. Still getting the, Sorry, the board attachment quota has been reached."

Any ideas on work arounds?

Can we pull down the prior posted pictures?

Let me know what you can

KS

grayfox
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby grayfox » Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:59 am

Let me see if the forum IT people can help us out with the image situation and ill get back to you..

Return to “Samsung Discussion”