50" Samsung DLP HLP5063w - Continuing Issue

Moderator: Angel

Forum rules
Tedrick

50" Samsung DLP HLP5063w - Continuing Issue

Postby Tedrick » Sat Jun 14, 2014 12:52 am

New to the Forum. Thanks for having me. Hope you can help me understand what's going on.

One day my DLP just stopped working - 3 blinking lights. So I replaced both the bulb and the ballast. Still no joy.

In fact, the TV would eventually come on but there was no control either on the set or using the remote. It could only be turned off by unplugging it. And, when plugged in, it would immediately go into the power up cycle.

Finally, I found on this forum someone who had a similar experience and solved the problem by using a blow dryer on the DMD board. Out of ideas, I tried it (applied the heat through the silver shield covering board) and it worked. The TV worked great for 4 days. Today, we went to turn it on and it wouldn't power up. Three cycles later and the 3-blinking lights of failure it powered up and it's now working fine. I suspect it's going to start failing again.

Update: TV no longer turns on the 1st time the power button is pressed like it did 5 or 6 days ago. Now, it takes a few cycles and then it boots up and plays fine. In short, it's risky to turn it off because I don't know if the next time it will turn on.

Does anyone know what's happening?

grayfox
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Re: 50" Samsung DLP HLP5063w - Continuing Issue

Postby grayfox » Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:42 am

Hello ted,

It seems you fixed the coldsolder sink back into the dmd. Good job! It is very doubtful that it will fail from that again unless a fan sstops working or the tv is under hot or poor ventilated conditions..

9 out of 10 times I ask this question it solves the problem: When was the last time you changed the TV lamp? (and did you do so with an OEM Philips bulb)

this might explain the initial turning off you described and then the cycling, and now the failure to start on the first click..

Hope I can be of some help!
[img]http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100421222828/ssb/images/thumb/1/18/MetalGearSymbol.svg/50px-MetalGearSymbol.svg.png[/img]Unit Foxhound

Tedrick

Postby Tedrick » Thu Jun 19, 2014 3:12 am

Grayfox,

Thank you. After signing up here and getting verified, I broke down and spent $40 to consult one of the internet tech experts. He concluded that the bulb I purchased from ShopJimmy.com was not the real deal even though it was labeled a Phillips. He sent me to DLPLampSource.com to get a genuine bulb. I returned the SJ bulb and the new one just arrived today. I'll update you on whether or not it solved the issue once I get an opportunity to install it. Probably tomorrow.

Thank you for the follow up.

grayfox
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby grayfox » Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:55 pm

Wow yeah there are a LOT of bootleg lamps out there, I normally get my lamps from a Philips authorized retailer like www.discount-merchant.com

Please let me know if you need any help!
[img]http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100421222828/ssb/images/thumb/1/18/MetalGearSymbol.svg/50px-MetalGearSymbol.svg.png[/img]Unit Foxhound

Return to “Samsung Discussion”