HLS5086WX/XAA Loud Intermittent Popping Sound

Moderator: Angel

Forum rules
Referee
Contributor
Contributor

HLS5086WX/XAA Loud Intermittent Popping Sound

Postby Referee » Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:45 pm

For the past couple of years I have had itermittent loud electrical popping sounds coming from my Samsung 5086 DLP. An Internet search a couple of years ago suggested a simple solution was to turn the volume down to zero on the internal speakers and to use external speakers. I followed that suggestion with great success until recently when the intermittent popping sound returned. Sometimes it will pop occassionally and other times the popping will be so bad the television becomes unwatchable. Seems like I recall a cheap Integrated Circuit or switch being indentified as the culprit, but I can't remember for sure? I have searched the Internet and this forum and have not found this particular problem identified. Otherwise the television performs great. Other than changing the lamp once, I have not had any other problems. Any help or suggestions on the electrical popping sound will be greatly appeciated.

Milichapi

Re: HLS5086WX/XAA Loud Intermittent Popping Sound

Postby Milichapi » Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:35 pm

I have the same tv and the exact same problem. Please let me know when you have a solution. Rivhardeze@hotmail.com

Referee
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Referee » Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:53 pm

Will do. It is popping so bad right now it is driving me crazy! Hopefully somebody out there is aware of this problem and knows the solution.

grayfox
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby grayfox » Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:22 pm

Hello,

After doing a little bit of research into this model it seems it is really common with the Samsung HLS5086WX/XAA.

The culprit can be the main input board which also has the output jacks. "Skipping" this problem and going directly to the external might have delayed the inevitable: to have the entire board go out!

I would need a little more information to diagnose it properly, like did this initial fail of the internal speakers happen on all digital and analog inputs?

Did you check to make sure the internal speaks were disabled in the on screen menu? This can also be phrased as Sound options: "output only" etc..

My initial instinct tells me the Main input board went out and with time affected the outputs as well..

Hope I can help!
[img]http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100421222828/ssb/images/thumb/1/18/MetalGearSymbol.svg/50px-MetalGearSymbol.svg.png[/img]Unit Foxhound

Referee
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Referee » Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:07 am

Thank you for your reply. After scouring the Internet I found a post regarding my same issue. In the post it says the most likely cause of the popping sound is a bad audio IC that drives the internal speakers. The IC is located on the mainboard and requires the mainboard to be replaced as you suggested. I assume replacing the mainboard is not a do-it-yourself job? I purchased this tv at Best Buy and am considering calling Geek Squad to get it repaired. Any opinions on using Geek Squad?

grayfox
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby grayfox » Wed Sep 03, 2014 6:01 pm

Well given that I learned most of what geek-squad knows from opening electronics apart at a young age, I do not think they could replace this board any better than you could if you feel handy with a screwdriver.. there's nothing to cut or solder, just connectors and screws.

You would first need to remove it to get a part number off the board.. (ordering this kind of parts requires the TV model and the board number).

In this video below you can find a parts source and a video of a Samsung being taken apart for a different reason (DMD) but you can see where the main input is when they replace the rear cover, on the left hand side including the inputs next to the power supply..

I hope this helps!
[img]http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100421222828/ssb/images/thumb/1/18/MetalGearSymbol.svg/50px-MetalGearSymbol.svg.png[/img]Unit Foxhound

Return to “Samsung Discussion”