HL-S6187WX/XAA - New Lamp not firing

Moderator: Angel

Forum rules
delman
Contributor
Contributor

HL-S6187WX/XAA - New Lamp not firing

Postby delman » Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:55 pm

Samsung DLP TV model HL-S6187W shut off with all 3 indicator lights on the front panel flashing.

After TV cooled down, turned it on again. The lamp lit and the TV worked for about ½ hour then shut off again with the 3 indicator lights blinking.

I jumpered the lamp door switch and the Temperature Sensor with a paper clip and tried again with same result.

I installed a new lamp #BP96-01472A manufactured by Samsung.....the new lamp doesn't lite or flicker ,only the humming which I guess is the color wheel, the chimes and a single “clunk”......no continuous clicking like the ballast is trying to fire the bulb.

The green LAMP light on the front of the TV blinks for 10-15 seconds then the TV shuts off another "clunk” and re-starts…..It does this a 3 times and eventually shuts off with all 3 lights blinking.

Not sure if the lamp or ballast might be the problem. Ready to install a new ballast. From reading many posts it seems like the next logical step to do.

Been trying to find a procedure or video on how to replace the ballast on this or similar model.

I found instructional video's on the net but none for a Samsung DLP.

Appreciate any help or advice.
Last edited by delman on Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

grayfox
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Re: HL-S6187WX/XAA - New Lamp not firing

Postby grayfox » Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:44 pm

Hello,

First of all just to make sure you should have received a Philips brand bulb from Samsung with model number BP96-01472A. Having the correct original bulb makes sure your picture is bright and like new. By the descriptions you mention this can be either a ballast or colorwheel, depending on the type of humming you hear.

A colorwheel will make a whirling bearing or screeching sound, keep in mind the colorwheel rotates at high RPMs.

A Ballast will make more of a buzzing sound like that or an electrical short, this would be the ignition charge arching which would explain the lights for the lamp, given it is not strong enough to ignite it.

Please take at both the guides below, they might not be your exact model but they are Samsung and the internals should be similar, one is for the ballast, the bottom one for the colorwheel.

http://guides.fixyourdlp.com/samsung/bp47-00033a.php

http://guides.fixyourdlp.com/samsung/bp96-01854a.php

Hope this helps!
[img]http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100421222828/ssb/images/thumb/1/18/MetalGearSymbol.svg/50px-MetalGearSymbol.svg.png[/img]Unit Foxhound

delman
Contributor
Contributor

Postby delman » Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:59 pm

Thanks very much for the reply and suggestions.

The lamp & housing were ordered on Amazon which said it was by Samsung. The correct part# BP96-01472A is stamped on the housing but I don't know who manufactured the lamp.

I just bought and installed a new ballast using the guide you referred in your reply.

The old ballast had a gray cylinder that the wires to the lamp connector ran through but the new ballast doesn't have this part. I tried to remove it from the old ballast with no success.

I don't want to fire-up the TV until I find out if this gray part is important......Can you tell me if it is?

grayfox
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby grayfox » Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:59 pm

Hello,

Do you have images you can share? This might just be a capacitor variance.. if the model numbers show as compatible I don not see why I would not install it and give it a try!
[img]http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100421222828/ssb/images/thumb/1/18/MetalGearSymbol.svg/50px-MetalGearSymbol.svg.png[/img]Unit Foxhound

delman
Contributor
Contributor

Postby delman » Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:56 pm

Thanks for the reply,

I do have a pic but can't attach it.......get message "Sorry, the board attachment quota has been reached".

I'll have to try later.

delman
Contributor
Contributor

Postby delman » Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:37 pm

Fired-up the TV and the lamp lit so the ballast must have been bad......but now I get nothing on the screen and no indicator lights.

Everything seemed to go back ok and I believe I plugged in all the connectors......what now?

delman
Contributor
Contributor

Postby delman » Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:46 pm

Took everything apart and didn't find anything wrong.....put it all back and we have a picture.....maybe one of the connections wasn't seated all the way.

Whatever, it looks like my 2 week journey has come to and end!!!

Must admit I learned a lot more about DLP technology than I ever expected.....thanks to this forum.

delman
Contributor
Contributor

Postby delman » Sun Aug 31, 2014 4:26 pm

Good Morning,

Well scratch my last post saying all was well.

After being on for only 15 min. or so the TV shut down with the 3 indicator lights blinking. This is exactly how the TV behaved over 2 weeks ago before the new lamp and ballast were installed. The only difference was that the old lamp would always light up and the new lamp would not until I installed a new ballast.

What confuses me is that the picture is great but for only a few minutes then shuts down.

I'm not sure where to go from here so would appreciate hearing if these are reasonable next steps. I included some detail in each of the steps to confirm I'm doing it right.

- order a new lamp manufactured by Phillips.....neither the old or new lamp has anything printed on them indicating they're manufactured by Phillips. Could these off brand lamps light up and then cause the set to shut down after 15 min.?

- could the off brand bulbs cause the ballast to go bad?

- re-check the temperature sensor by unplugging the blue and white wire connector from the sensor (not the board) and jumping the 2 wires with a paper clip inserted into the connector.

- re-check the lamp door shut off switch by unplugging the blue and white wire connector from the switch (not the board) and jumping the 2 wires with a paper clip inserted into the connector.

If this fails, then I'm stuck on what to do next.

Really appreciate your advice,

delman

grayfox
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby grayfox » Wed Sep 03, 2014 5:52 pm

Hello again and sorry to hear the repair was a false alarm..!

Well now you got me a little confused and split between one of two:

-The ballast has some physical differences but worked.. I wonder if the model is not accurate, can you double check that you ordered a BP47-00037A Ballast?

-The lamp. This had given me more headaches than I can remember. For this reason I always buy Philips brand, this is what Samsung installs from factory since they do not make their own and the market is flooded with bootleg bulbs claiming to be OEM!! Do you mind sharing where you purchased the lamp from? As I always like to plug in my source for genuine Philips distributors of any Samsung or other DLP, including your BP96-01472A (link below). Its been a long journey, but to share my experience I would order a Philips and give it a try, if its not the problem you can always return it for full refund in the first couple of days.

http://www.discount-merchant.com/p-95-samsung-bp96-01472a-lamp-replacement.aspx

Please let me know how it goes!

delman
Contributor
Contributor

Postby delman » Tue Sep 09, 2014 1:58 pm

Yep, according to the sticker on the outside of the box, the ballast I ordered and installed is BP47-00037A.

The lamp has no stamp or sticker indicating who manufactured it. It was bought a year ago as a backup from LowPriceDistributors for $45 on Amazon. The item title said "Samsung BP96-01472A Replacement Lamp w/Housing 6,000 Hour Life & 1 Year Warranty".

I bought a new Phillips lamp BP96-01472A from Discount Merchants and a new lamp fan BP31-00024A and temperature sensor BP91-00612B.

I'll install all three new parts today and let you know what happens.

Appreciate your help!

grayfox
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby grayfox » Tue Sep 09, 2014 5:14 pm

OK sounds like you have quite a project ahead of you, please let me know!

delman
Contributor
Contributor

Postby delman » Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:36 pm

Just finished installing the 3 new parts, turned it on, worked fine for a few minutes and shut off.

I feel like I'm chasing my tail on this one......not sure how much $$$ I want to dump into it without knowing for sure that it'll fix it.

Got about $170 in it so far.....the parts that could cause the problem start getting pretty pricey.....Pcb Power Supply, DMD Board, DMD chip, Color Wheel.

Not sure where to go fro here.

grayfox
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby grayfox » Thu Sep 11, 2014 11:23 pm

Hi again, well I think you have defiantly rounded this down, please when you have a DIY project never ever throw away anything (that's my number 1 rule)

So this has to be one of the most common pieces, I do not think , given what you have explained, that this can be anything too complicated, maybe a ballast issue...

By what you describe I would find a place that has a flexible return policy hint* and see if a ballast is the trick? This is the second most common part to go out on a RPTV and i have changed countless of them. Before you go jumping into purchasing, given the last description of what happen I assume when the picture came up it was perfect and no distortion?

If so, how many times have you changed the lamp, how long have you have the TV and are you the only owner? This can all help me determine if you might need a new ballast!

delman
Contributor
Contributor

Postby delman » Fri Sep 12, 2014 12:18 pm

Already installed a new ballast and did the same thing.....shut off after a few minutes.....decided that I've struggled with this long enough. Took the TV to a NESDA Certified tech.....we'll see what he comes up with.

Thanks for taking time and interest to help.

grayfox
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby grayfox » Fri Sep 12, 2014 7:06 pm

Very welcome, please post your progress if you have time so people in similar cases can find help!

Thank you in advance

delman
Contributor
Contributor

Postby delman » Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:47 pm

Turn out to be the color wheel motor not turning full rpm. Replaced color wheel and we're good to go.

grayfox
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby grayfox » Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:13 pm

hooray!

Glad to hear that is the case, I hope this thread helps others, do you mind sharing the colorwheel model number for your TV?

Thanks!

delman
Contributor
Contributor

Postby delman » Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:32 pm

.....be glad to......for this Samsung DLP model #HLS6187W unit the color wheel model is #BP96-01579A.

grayfox
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby grayfox » Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:20 pm

Thank you!, hope it works for a long long time. We will be here to help with anything else (hopefully you wont need it soon!)

delman
Contributor
Contributor

Postby delman » Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:28 am

After replacing the color wheel, lamp, ballast, lamp fan & temp sensor the TV worked great for a little over a week. Now after an hour or two it just shuts off......only the red stand-by indicator light on.

Hope someone has a fix!

delman
Contributor
Contributor

Postby delman » Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:11 pm

Does anyone know the part number for the lamp cover switch on a Samsung HLS6187W. I haven't been able to find it on the internet.

I was wrong about the indicator lights on my last post. I paid closer attention and found that the red stand-by and green lamp lights both blinked for a couple of seconds right after the TV shut down. Manual says "the lamp cover is not properly shut"......it's shut so I'm thinking it may be the lamp cover switch.

grayfox
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby grayfox » Fri Sep 26, 2014 6:03 pm

Hello I got your message!

Um I will look around for a part number but I am sure any Samsung trip switch will work..

If it was my TV and I was certain I had everything back in place shut and screws in... I would just bypass the switch (tie it / connect it). But this is a risky rig if people have easy access to the lamp compartment!!

Just a thought.

Return to “Samsung Discussion”