Samsung HLN5065WX/XAA Won't Turn On

Moderator: Angel

Forum rules
Gandoratze

Samsung HLN5065WX/XAA Won't Turn On

Postby Gandoratze » Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:14 pm

Model: HLN5065WX/XAA

Manufacture Date: December 2003

I recently acquired this TV from a neighbor who said it stopped working after a recent power surge in the area (though they weren't sure if that had anything to do with it). That's all the information they had. I have my own one of these sets, so I figured I'd take it (for free) and see if I could fix it or worse case use it for parts. I have experience changing the lamp and color wheel (did both with my set and it's been working fine since 2009).

Here's the problem: when i press the power switch: 1)the chime sounds (it sounds slightly different than mine (not sure if that matters, it's tad shorter) 2) lamp light indicator on the front of the set blinks, 3) I hear a click (sign of powering on?) 4) color wheel spins (taped down the trip switch in the back to visually verify)....then nothing, no lamp start up, the color wheel slows the set shuts off and attempts a reboot. It does this three times and then all three lights on the front panel blink. I then need to unplug it to get it to respond.

What I have done so far: so far I have 1) tested the lamp by removing the working lamp from my working TV and putting it in this one (nothing happened any different). 2) replaced the color wheel (I now realize that this was likely not needed, it was something I knew how to do and I thought maybe that'd fix it...i was wrong)

What I have read: I have read around and saw that it could be the power supply, the dmd, or the ballast. I would like to see about nailing it down to one thing so I don't spend money on ay more unneeded parts.

What I observed: I started my working TV and listened carefully. One sound I heard from my TV (that I didn't hear in this one) was a crackle right before the lamp turned on. I assume this is the ballast firing? When I watch inside this TV, the ballast makes no sound and doesn't light or spark or anything.

I don't have a voltage meter (don't want to go buy one really, unless they're cheap...i'm a bit of a novice when it comes to that stuff). I thought about swapping parts out of my good TV, but I am also too chicken to start messing with the inside of my working TV for fear that I'll be left with two non operating TVs.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. I realize this topic has been beaten to death, but I can't seem to find my exact issue elsewhere.

Cheers!

grayfox
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Re: Samsung HLN5065WX/XAA Won't Turn On

Postby grayfox » Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:10 pm

Hello and thank you for the detailed description,

Well from what I figure from your extensive trouble shooting, the original lamp and ballast might have been damaged in the power surge.

No need to buy a multimeter the ignition charge needed is around 15kV more than any regular meter can handle without damage.

If able to, I would invest in a new ballast (maybe order one from a store with a loose return policy?), according to Samsung the part number for the ballast on that model HLN5065WX/XAA is the BP47-00017A..

When the lamp needs replacing please remember that this Samsung uses a Philips BP96-00224J Lamp ;)

Hope this helps!
[img]http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100421222828/ssb/images/thumb/1/18/MetalGearSymbol.svg/50px-MetalGearSymbol.svg.png[/img]Unit Foxhound

Gandoratze

Postby Gandoratze » Sat Sep 20, 2014 2:48 am

Thanks for the reply! Any thoughts on a reputable parts supplier. I've seen the price ranging from $25-$100 (big swing). Do you know if there's an instruction guide anywhere on installing a new ballast? Sounds like that's what you're thinking (not dmd or power supply)

Thanks again!

grayfox
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby grayfox » Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:32 pm

Unfortunately I could not find it in my favorite spot www.discount-merchant.com my second resources are Google.com and Ebay.com
[img]http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100421222828/ssb/images/thumb/1/18/MetalGearSymbol.svg/50px-MetalGearSymbol.svg.png[/img]Unit Foxhound

grayfox
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby grayfox » Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:46 pm

Unfortunately I could not find it in my favorite spot http://www.discount-merchant.com my second resources are Google.com and Ebay.com

Return to “Samsung Discussion”