Samsung HLP5685WX/XAA Pedestal Model Problem

Moderator: Angel

Forum rules
lovethemhdtvs
Contributor
Contributor

Samsung HLP5685WX/XAA Pedestal Model Problem

Postby lovethemhdtvs » Sat Apr 11, 2015 2:35 pm

Hello All. New to the forum & wanted to check with the experts about a problem with my Samsung HL-P5685W.

Was watching one evening of late; heard loud pop; set went black; set displayed lamp symbol on front; reset itself & restarted. When it came back up, only had B&W. I bought this set new (2004) & love it. Have replaced the lamp a couple of times since buying. One thing I did notice about the problem is that the whirring sound from the set is louder than normal ops.

Also, this problem is constant across all inputs (Games/DVD/TV/etc.).

I'm making a big assumption with this next portion!

I think the colorwheel shattered; thus causing higher rpm, making the sound louder. Wanted to check with the experts before ordering it. Have not tore into it yet. Could it be something else (color circuit board/other parts/?)?. Thanks in advance for any info/help.

appleads
TV Repair Jedi
TV Repair Jedi

Re: Samsung HLP5685WX/XAA Pedestal Model Problem

Postby appleads » Thu May 07, 2015 2:45 pm

This most definitely sounds like a color wheel issue. There are good YouTube videos showing how to remove the light engine from your tv. Any of them will give you an idea of what you're in for, but really, it's a lot easier than you might expect. Take pictures as you go for reference, and label wires you disconnect if you're worried. The best thing you can do for your TV is to clean it as you go. I'd dust (buy a poly synthetic dust wand at the grocery store and use cotton swaps to get the fans sparkling clean) and vacuum first (you'll want to vacuum out all the tiny pieces of the shaterred color wheel) then blow everything out with air (I use a shop vac reversed from vacuum to blower myself) Be sure your optical engine lens is clean before reassembling. Fit the gasket the color wheel sits on carefully, and don't over tighten the screws. The tolerances within the color wheel chamber are very tight. Don't be afraid, it's a lot easier than it sounds.

Return to “Samsung Discussion”