Service adjustments for receivers after chip replacement

Moderator: Angel

Forum rules
def
Contributor
Contributor

Service adjustments for receivers after chip replacement

Postby def » Sat May 16, 2015 3:40 pm

First, let me state, I am NOT a TV technician or repairman. I did operate and repair shipboard RADAR many years ago (vacuum tube era) while I was in the US Navy. Those days and the accompanying technology is long gone. No more stray RF flying around (In the cold of the North Atlantic, we used to open up the cabinet where the RADAR magnetron was housed to get warm...not a good idea...some of the radiation was dangerous).

Recently, I replaced my dLp chip (Samsung RPTV) because of the white dots that had begun to appear on screen. I continued to use the receiver as the dots increased. Finally, I decided to investigate repairing the receiver. I found an excellent Youtube video dealing with just the issue I had (on screen white dots) but for a different brand receiver.

After reviewing the video, it seemed that most all the rear projection receivers use a similar layout. The difference is the light engine. My Samsung uses three high power LEDs instead of a color wheel and short arc lamp light source.

A precision optical bench provides the video through a series of mirrors and lenses with the picture eventually projected onto a plastic screen from the rear, hence RPTV, (rear projection television).

As of May 2015, I am not aware of any RPTVs currently offered for retail. Pity. These receivers are and were high performers with excellent contrast ratios and color saturation. There are however projectors that still use the TI dLp chipset. The dLp technology is used in a wide array of applications from cell phones to IMAX projectors.

After replacing the dLp component on the DMD board, The receiver worked like new and the dots are gone. The failure of the original dLp component was likely due to excess heat from the dust and dirt that accumulated normally inside the cabinet of a TV receiver. Whenever you are inside the cabinet of a modern TV receiver, it is best to clean dust and dirt from boards and other components like fans and cooling ducts.

After replacing the dLp component for my Samsung RPTV receiver, I ordered the technical service manual from Samsung. It comes on a nice thumb drive available at samsungparts.com. The cost was $12.00. It is 146 pages (30.1MB, .PDF format) and contains everything you need to know to realign your TV receiver to factory specifications. My Samsung required only one alignment procedure after I installed the new dLp chip.

If you do repair your RPTV, I suggest you order this service manual. There is considerable information therein for the novice and professional service technician alike.

appleads
TV Repair Jedi
TV Repair Jedi

Re: Service adjustments for receivers after chip replacement

Postby appleads » Thu May 21, 2015 7:16 pm

Solid advice. And I enjoyed reading your post. It amazes me that more isn't being said or written about these DLP sets as a great value in HDTV. I stopped by to look at the new 4K sets recently, and maybe it was the gaudy content, but I actually found the picture to be kinda unrealistic. In print you'd say it was "posterized.". Every time I watch my recently refurbished Sammy I am amazed at the quality. Now if the lamps, color wheels and chips were just a little cheaper, life would be perfect.

def
Contributor
Contributor

Postby def » Mon Aug 17, 2015 2:55 am

Well, my cleaning lady now believes I'm a TV expert level technician. She is amazed at the picture on my Sam RPTV and that the dots are gone. So, she brought her Sam plasma here to the house, "Mr. def, can you look at my tv and tell me what is wrong?".

Two weeks and $10.00 worth of capacitors and she has her Sam back to good health. Life is good and my cleaning lady thinks I'm a genius.

Now, I've got to finish painting the porch and deck, repair my Maytag Neptune washing machine, the microwave and the dishwasher and install new fuel lines and brake pads on my BMW motorcycle and clear the 5 acres next door.

This is not fair.....I'm 77 years old...I should be fishing.

ChubbsTech
TV Wizard
TV Wizard

Postby ChubbsTech » Mon Aug 17, 2015 7:58 pm

Hi Mr. Def,

Were glad your TV is up and running as is your cleaning ladies haha.

hint: If I were you I would go fishing first, Fun goes first in my agenda !

Regards,
Remember Knowing Is Half The Battle !

Return to “Samsung Discussion”