Lamp ballast failure

Moderator: Angel

Forum rules
appleads
TV Repair Jedi
TV Repair Jedi

Lamp ballast failure

Postby appleads » Sat May 16, 2015 9:10 pm

Does anyone have an idea of what part of the lamp ballast board is failing? Is it a big brown capacitor? Or some kind of chip or such. It would make so much sense to FIX these ballasts rather than have to buy a new or used one to replace my old one. Just wondering....

grayfox
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Re: Lamp ballast failure

Postby grayfox » Thu May 28, 2015 9:06 pm

Hello!

I ran across this post as unresponded. I have been fixing RPTVs for a while now and I figured as much as you did, but no. I knew there was a reason most TV parts had a CORE charge at the peak of 2008-2010 and not these...

I ran into a bunch of reasons, the most popular being that the tinyest ICs get burned and replacing them is a task that is not only laborious but costly. The second reason I stumbled upon my quest was that the big black transformer is not a part thats available since it comes adhered to the lamp connector and its bid red wires, given the 5kV to 20kV these jolt up to, splicing is almost not a popular option.

I hope this helps!

-Andy
[img]http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100421222828/ssb/images/thumb/1/18/MetalGearSymbol.svg/50px-MetalGearSymbol.svg.png[/img]Unit Foxhound

appleads
TV Repair Jedi
TV Repair Jedi

Re: Lamp ballast failure

Postby appleads » Fri Sep 18, 2015 3:22 pm

Your informative reply has been a big help and I have gone into the "swap 'em out" mode doing these repairs. Given the low cost relative to other components of these tv's I am now now longer worrying about throwing old ones out.

Return to “Samsung Discussion”