Samsung 6163 WX/XAA Grinding Noise

Moderator: Angel

Forum rules
Panda
Contributor
Contributor

Samsung 6163 WX/XAA Grinding Noise

Postby Panda » Sat May 23, 2015 8:46 pm

The work I’ve been doing on my Samsung HLP 6163 WX/XAA (2004 build) was the result of a high pitched grinding noise coming from the vicinity of the color wheel housing that would start when the set initially came on and would disappear after about 10 minutes. Eventually, after about 3 months, we lost the picture. The last time this happened was about 5 years ago. At that time I replaced the color wheel and all was well - until now. This time, we got multiple status light indicators that lead me to believe that we may have lost the lamp as well. It was around 4 years old, and was well past its expected life; a shard of glass inside the cabinet confirmed this.

With that past color wheel replacement experience in mind, I’ve changed out the color wheel, the DMD board due to a broken, heat fused socket 5, chip, and, of course, the lamp. I’ve bench checked both fans for noise, and they are quiet running both in and out of the set. There do not appear to be any obstructions in the housing that the color wheel could be brushing against – As you know it is a self-contained unit.

The first CW replacement this go round arrived in a badly damage box, but I used it anyway. Same issue; so I returned the CW. This time the color wheel arrived without apparent damage of any sort. It was well packed and both cartons (inner and outer) were blemish free indicating no hard knocks by our friends at the USPS (unlike last time). It looked perfect to me in all respects except for the gasket, which was torn. I used the old CW gasket.

The various boards, chips, wires plugs, and paraphernalia went in without any problem at all. Every aspect of disassembly and reassembly was done as though I were disarming an explosive device. There were no issues of any sort. I wore latex gloves throughout the operation.

Turned the TV set on... Normal picture; BUT the grinding noise is still present. I only know of 3 moving parts in the set - two fans and the color wheel. What are your collective thoughts on this dilemma?

Panda
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Samsung 6163 WX/XAA Grinding Noise

Postby Panda » Mon May 25, 2015 5:23 pm

Further info: I have reinstalled the original color wheel. The vibration is still there. When the set is turned off, the fans continue to run, but the vibration stops. The vibration sound with the old color wheel installed is a modulated zzzzzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZZZZZ. The pitch and loudness changes every few seconds.

grayfox
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby grayfox » Thu May 28, 2015 1:06 am

Hello!

"disarming an explosive device" <hehehe well done!

Normally the only 2 parts in your TV that will cause a noise when malfunctioning would be:

1-Lamp Ballast Board, which emits an electrical arching, buzzing sound when it attempts to ignite a lamp or when it shuts down due to error.

2-Colorwheel, this is the only part that whirls, whines, grinds or hums in the manner you describe. this can be if it is defective or miss-aligned/installed (which is not the case given your thorough installation)

The fans will not normally cause a whirling vibrating or buzzing sound unless physically broken, say a propeller was broken off or the bearing was shot.

Speaking of bearings, these new Sammy Color Wheels do not have a ball bearing but an "air bearing" magnetically held in place by the same engine. It is really easy to have one go out, even by just shaking the original packaging and the glass disk press against the core.. having said that, I think it is the Colorwheel. A long distant second would be the power supply, or DMD board to check that it is sending the correct voltage, making sure the RPMs on that wheel are appropriate..

I hope this helps.
[img]http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100421222828/ssb/images/thumb/1/18/MetalGearSymbol.svg/50px-MetalGearSymbol.svg.png[/img]Unit Foxhound

Panda
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Panda » Thu May 28, 2015 1:54 am

Having gone thru two new color wheels before reinstalling my original, the color wheel is the least attractive option for the source of the problem. The ballast is a new wrinkle that I hadn't considered although the inverter was mentioned as a vague possibility by an acquaintance.

Interestingly enough, after putting the original parts back in, and reinstalling the back of the cabinet last night, we find that after about 10 minutes the noise stops and set remains quiet for the rest of the viewing session. The set is currently on, picture and color are sharp and clear, sound is good - and no noise. This is much different than the situation with the new color wheel, where the noise was constant until the wheel stopped and the lamp went off.

A puzzlement to be sure.

Big thanks for your response!

Mike

grayfox
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby grayfox » Thu May 28, 2015 5:00 pm

Hey Mike,

No problem. Wow ok that is odd, you are correct 3 defective colorwheels are really bad odds! the inverter board? does your Samsung have and Aux Power Supply board? otherwise I think he meant the Lamp Ballast Board?

Please keep us posted of anything new. Like aforementioned, these colorwheels can be thrown off balance (not unlike a vehicles wheels) with the slightest pressure to the airbearing, since you are familiar with it you probably have seen that it is a magnetic center with copper wiring that can be easily bent or skewed by the metal center hub housing it that hold the glass panels of the colorwheel.

Regards,

Andy
[img]http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100421222828/ssb/images/thumb/1/18/MetalGearSymbol.svg/50px-MetalGearSymbol.svg.png[/img]Unit Foxhound

Panda
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Panda » Fri May 29, 2015 5:51 am

He might have meant the ballast, there's no aux power board that I'm aware of, Andy. This is all very, very strange and does not really fit the profile of a bad ballast board. On the other hand, if it were a bad color wheel, why would the buzzing stop after 10 to 15 minutes? Will keep you posted on any new developments. Cheers, Panda

grayfox
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby grayfox » Mon Jun 01, 2015 6:08 pm

you are correct, could be incorrect voltage, overheating, fan delays, the bearing might take a bit to reach RPMs, etc, etc...

Keep us posted!

Panda
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Panda » Sun Jun 07, 2015 2:30 am

The set continues to operate as described. Nothing new to report.

grayfox
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby grayfox » Mon Jun 08, 2015 5:00 pm

very very odd.. Please keep us posted, this colorwheel status has me stumped.

Return to “Samsung Discussion”