Bought Samsung HLR-4677W DLP HDTV in 2005 – been good TV. Had a few rare occurrences of an all “green” screen or an all “static” screen that would go away when I re-started the TV. Never had to replace the main lamp bulb. About 4-5 months ago, TV started to have a loud whine sound when TV turned on (had picture and sound), but it would quit the whine after a couple of minutes. Then loud whine would not stop, but still had picture/sound. I used this forum to figure out it was a color wheel bearing. Got a new color wheel assembly on Amazon (did not know about discount-merchant option until later in this “saga”). The old color wheel was not broken, but it did not “turn” freely. Replaced color wheel, using instructions/youtubes from internet. TV turned on & worked perfectly. No whine!!!
After working fine for 3 months, I cut TV on 1 day, it worked for about 3 minutes, then picture froze and no sound. Re-booted the set top box and TV several times. Unplugged / re-plugged in TV several times – no luck. No picture and no sound. It was plugged into surge protector all the time.
Spent hours going through blogs looking for help. Lamp was not burned out – could see it working with the cover off in back. Went to Discount Merchant and bought new lamp and another color wheel assembly. Changed out lamp even though could see old one was working. Changed out relatively new color wheel with the new one from DM. Old color wheel was not broken; when I manually spun it, it had about the same amount of spin of brand new one from DM. TV still didn’t work – same symptoms.
Here are the observations I made on the sights/sounds of the TV:
1. With TV plugged into a surge protector, the Standby/Temp light on the front of the TV was on (dim red).
2. Cut on TV with remote – On the front of the TV, the timer light blinked once and the lamp light on the front starting blinking about once every 2 seconds.
3. Within a second, hear a quick spin up sound (color wheel?), hear a click (ballast?) in TV, lamp fan starts, main lamp turns on (could see it from the back of the TV with the cover off).
4. Almost instantly, I hear a quick lower pitch spin down sound; then a quick high pitch spin up sound again?
5. No jingle start up sound. No 3 lights blinking on the front of the TV. No TV image (can see the dark screen is slightly illuminated, if you see it in the dark - just blank). Have no inputs plugged into the TV now (had to move it to a work area to take it apart).
6. Lamp indicator on front of TV is blinking every 2 seconds. It stops blinking after 1 minute.
7. Main Lamp in the TV was still on & fans still running. After another 2 minutes, hear a click and main Lamp/Fan turn off and I hear a quick high pitch whine spin down. TV ends up in standby mode.
I know this a long “description” of the issue. I am a first time user of this blog, so pardon if I’ve given too much detail. Did look at the ballast. All capacitors look fine – No bulging, no leaking. I’ve spent about $350 on two color wheels and one main lamp to no avail so far. I don’t know what to do next.
Any advice or thoughts on what to do next? Is there a service manual that might help me?