HL-72A650 color wheel BP96-2069 no longer available

Moderator: Angel

Forum rules
appleads
TV Repair Jedi
TV Repair Jedi

HL-72A650 color wheel BP96-2069 no longer available

Postby appleads » Sun Jul 26, 2015 2:44 pm

Having successfully refurbished a dozen or so Samsung DLP's in the 50, 56, and 61 editions, and then passing them along at cost to company employees in Atlanta and Cincinnati, I thought I would tackle a 72 incher. And for the first time, I'm going to do a chip replacement. I'm always up for a new challenge. On examining this HL-72A650 it's obvious it needs a new dlp chip. But I'm also worried this set may need a new color wheel, because the lamp will not stay lit. Could be a bad bulb, but I'm figuring on the worst case. I was ASTONISHED to find that a color wheel for this model is no longer available. In fact, the only one I could find was being offered on eBay at an outrageous $400. So here's my question: Could I simply swap out the 72" color wheel (7 color segments, air bearing) from say a BP96-1579 color wheel into the BP96-2069 assembly inside this set? Or find a Mitsubishi color wheel part that would replace my wheel? If not, are there any other possible "work arounds" if my CW is no longer maintaining sufficient speed to keep the lamp lit? Otherwise I guess my only other option is to buy another broken set and hope the color wheel is still good. Or junk this set and take my losses. Seems a shame as these 72's are impressive beasts.

grayfox
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Re: HL-72A650 color wheel BP96-2069 no longer available

Postby grayfox » Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:25 pm

Hello,

To first answer your question about the colorwheel, it is a hit or miss. I have dont it before but never on such a large screen. Some Sammys have the exact same part number and I have had some luck.. All I can say is try it? if it fits it might work!

Now it seems like you know very well what you are doing, the DMD chip is really easy as like the colorwheel I am sure you will have no problem. What is the cause of the DMD, white dots?

Have you checked out to see if the lamp and/or ballast are reliable?

I say this because in my Mitsubishi battles, when I have misdiagnosed something it always takes me back to a Bad Ballast! (I always make sure I have an original Osram or two lying around to test the lamp.
[img]http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100421222828/ssb/images/thumb/1/18/MetalGearSymbol.svg/50px-MetalGearSymbol.svg.png[/img]Unit Foxhound

appleads
TV Repair Jedi
TV Repair Jedi

Re: HL-72A650 color wheel BP96-2069 no longer available

Postby appleads » Fri Sep 11, 2015 6:03 am

Here's an update on my adventures with the HL72A650. I lucked out and found a guy with a broken screen version of this set, and convinced him to sell me the entire light engine which had exactly 0 hours on it. I swapped this unit we'll call Big Ten into my "white dot issues, and possible who knows what else" TV set and viola, the set works like new. I then took that Bad Dots light engine I had removed and set it aside. Next, I was given FREE of charge, another entire HL72A650 by a gentleman in Missouri who had given up trying to resolve its issues. His light engine seemed to be cursed. We'll call that light engine Big Mo. I knew many of the components in Big Mo were new and good, but the unit itself might have a DMD board issue, so I stole the DMD chip AND the color wheel and the lamp out of Big Mo and put them all into Bad Dots. This was my first DMD chip swap and it was even easier than I had expected. I will admit I did watch the video one more time on YouTube before I did the transplant. But after the swap out, this second 72 inch set was still not acting right. I then suspected the power supply might be bad. Sure enough, 2 bulging capacitors were found. Ordered those from Shop Jimmy, replaced the 2 big ones that were bad, and the set was once again operating at 100%. I now have 2 72 inch Samsungs back into perfect working order. Total cash outlay for two refurbished 72 inch Sammy DLPs, less than $600 which includes the cost of gas to go pick up the free tv.

Hopefully I can sell them both and at least break even. The world does not appreciate these sets the way they should.

Return to “Samsung Discussion”