DLP disaster

Moderator: Angel

Forum rules
dlpdummy

DLP disaster

Postby dlpdummy » Wed Sep 16, 2015 5:31 am

I have an HLS6187WX.... I replaced the lamp, color wheel, and the dmd board and still have the problem. My lamp wont fire that's why I replaced it initially. After the new lamp didn't fire I dug deeper and found the color wheel not rotating but bouncing back and forth. I Replaced the color wheel and it did the same thing so I figured it could only be the DMD board. I ordered the DMD board and the color wheel still wouldn't run but with the new board the color wheel didn't move at all. I have good voltage to the ballast, all my fans are running, door switch closed etc.... Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated.

dlpdummy

appleads
TV Repair Jedi
TV Repair Jedi

Re: DLP disaster

Postby appleads » Fri Sep 18, 2015 2:57 pm

Swap out that ballast. For $20 or so you can eliminate that item which is often prone to failure. Next, check all your capacitors (round Tootsie Roll looking things big and small) and see if any of them have tops that are not perfectly flat--especially on the power supply board. If they bulge at the top, they're bad. Replacing them is pretty easy--see YouTube. Incidentally, how are you able to see the color wheel moving? Save everything you've taken off the set. If it was a bad ballast OR a bad capacitor or two on the power supply board, all those other parts you've removed may still be good.

dlpdummy

Postby dlpdummy » Fri Sep 18, 2015 3:19 pm

I can see the color wheel because I removed the bulb at startup to see if it was moving or not. I also left the bulb in place and plugged in the color wheel externally to the board and it did not move at all I have read that the color wheel has to be turning before the ballast will fire all my fans are operational so I'm not sure what to do at this point. I just hate to buy a ballast because according to the flow chart thecolor wheel and all fans must be operational before the bulb will light. Is that the correct sequence of operation? Also I do have proper voltage from power board to ballast. I am a dlp dummy but im in the HVAC business so im accustomed to troubleshooting circuit boards. Just wanted you to know. .. thanks for any help you can give me!

appleads
TV Repair Jedi
TV Repair Jedi

Postby appleads » Fri Sep 18, 2015 3:35 pm

You've replaced all the expensive bits, which is why I suspect it's the ballast. Here's the order of "most likely to fail" that I've found after fixing about 15 or 20 Samsung DLP's as a "hobby" of sorts. First to fail, the lamp. Next, the ballast. Third, the capacitors on the power supply board. Fourth the color wheel. Fifth the DLP chip. Sixth one of the fans (although these don't have to stop, just under perform to fail) Seventh the DVI board, and last, the DMD board. That's been my experience but the sample size isn't all that large. I just brought back to life a 72 inch set given to me free of charge because the owner got tired of trying to fix it. He'd replaced every expensive component--lamp, chip, color wheel, dmd board). Turned out it had a bad ballast, and two bad capacitors on the power supply board. Once repaired, the picture was mind blowing. I spent $56 on parts and $100 on gas picking it up in the middle of nowhere.

Return to “Samsung Discussion”