Moderator: Angel

Forum rules
Thorkull
Contributor
Contributor

Loud buzzing sound on HLR5067WX/XAA

Postby Thorkull » Wed Nov 11, 2015 5:05 pm

Hey, guys.

New poster here. I found this forum whilst looking for solutions to my problem on my (several-year-old) Samsung DLP. It's been a champ, and I've never had to even replace a bulb. However, recently (in the last week) it's started making a buzzing sound. You power it on, and it starts up just fine. After a few minutes a quiet buzzing sound starts, but it's low enough that it really isn't very noticeable. Then, a few minutes later, it gets really loud and makes it hard to hear the audio.

Picture and sound are playing just fine, so I'm not entirely sure it's the color wheel. I had the back cover off last night and the one fan I could see didn't seem to be obstructed and it spun freely when I pushed it with my finger. What's the best way to diagnose this issue, and has anyone had a similar problem?

Thanks,

Thorkull

ChubbsTech
TV Wizard
TV Wizard

Re: Loud buzzing sound on HLR5067WX/XAA

Postby ChubbsTech » Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:19 pm

Hello,

Usually a buzzing type sound has to do with either the color wheel or the ballast. One way to distinguish one from the other is by placing your hand on top of the TV. If you feel any vibration the problem is more likely gonna be the color wheel. If you feel no vibration more likely the ballast is the problem and will soon start to shut the TV off. Please let us know of any other questions or concerns and we will gladly assist you.

Best Regards,
Remember Knowing Is Half The Battle !

Thorkull
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Thorkull » Mon Nov 16, 2015 7:10 pm

Hey, ChubbsTech.

Thanks for the idea, I'll check it out tonight when I get home.

Thorkull
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Thorkull » Sun Nov 29, 2015 9:32 pm

I checked, and I can't feel any vibration, so I'm going with it's the ballast. The problem is, I'm finding two different models of ballast for this TV. How can I determine which is correct (i.e., which will work)?

https://www.partstore.com/Part/Samsung/Samsung/HLR5067W/Samsung/Samsung/BP4700027A/New.aspx

vs.

https://www.partstore.com/Part/Samsung/Samsung/HLR5067W/Samsung/Samsung/BP9600690A/New.aspx

Thanks!

appleads
TV Repair Jedi
TV Repair Jedi

Postby appleads » Sun Dec 06, 2015 4:53 am

Ballasts seem to be "lamp specific" with one ballast part number ending in 41 and one ending in 42. The blue/brown wire that goes from the power supply to the ballast will have 2 pins on the 41 version and 3 pins on the 42 IF I remember correctly. Yours being an R version most likely has the ballast ending in 41.

Return to “Samsung Discussion”