Samsung/Viore DLP turns off after about 30mins

Moderator: Angel

Forum rules
omnicron

Samsung/Viore DLP turns off after about 30mins

Postby omnicron » Sat Jul 02, 2016 10:52 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96f9eh4MH3g

That's the best video i could get of what it does. I've replaced the lamp. Reset the timer.

It will turn back on after it shuts off. But it seems to cut off quicker. I've checked the fans and they're both working. I'd like to try and replace them but i don't know which one to replace and i wanted to check with you guys first.

appleads
TV Repair Jedi
TV Repair Jedi

Re: Samsung/Viore DLP turns off after about 30mins

Postby appleads » Mon Jul 04, 2016 2:40 am

If the replacement lamp is of good quality (Osram or Phillips) then I would first suspect the ballast. If you've got a 30 dollar bulb in there, that might be your problem. They only last about 9 months depending on how much your watch your tv.

You're right, the fans may not be cooling the unit sufficiently and this may be the cause, but if the blades are clean, and the unit is getting enough fresh air (keep it 3 to 5 inches away from the wall please) then I would suspect a bad ballast first. They fail more often than fans. But since both fans are relatively inexpensive, you might swap out all three parts (2 fans, one ballast) Your total investment should be about 60 to 70 bucks and your headaches should be over.

omnicron

Postby omnicron » Mon Jul 04, 2016 4:39 am

It is a phillips lamp. I've replaced it in the last 2-3months. I don't even think my old lamp was bad (also phillips). The TV repair guy i got on the phone suggested replacing it so i did.

I found this guide here on replacing the ballast.

http://www.fixyourdlp.com/lampguides/Samsung_Ballast_BP47-00033A_guide.html

My TV doesn't show any of these symptoms of a bad ballast though.

"What are the main symptoms of a bad ballast?

1. The TV gives a "Lamp Replacement" code when powering on the TV even when the lamp has been replaced.

2. The TV does not make a "Click" noise or "Surge" when pressing the power button. The click noise is one of the fastest ways to decide whether the ballast or other components of your TV are bad rather than the lamp.

3. The TV makes rapid "Clicking" noises (3-5 clicks every 2-3 seconds). This means that your ballast is weak and can not fire the lamp."

I'm not saying you're wrong. And i'll probably still try replacing it (hopefully i can return it if i need to).

appleads
TV Repair Jedi
TV Repair Jedi

Postby appleads » Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:57 pm

I had a friend once describe the Samsung DLP repair process as "swapatronics." You switch out a component and see if that's fixed it. The sets have a robust set of security features that are designed to shut off the set before anything bad happens, should anything "go out of parameter." Sounds like it's not a lamp issue given that you've got a Phillips bulb in there. If you don't suspect the ballast, try the thermostat over the lamp housing. There may even be a way to "jump" this so as to eliminate it's necessity to function. If that cures the situation, then you know that was the issue and you should replace it. Minor expense and easy to change. Oh, and make sure the fans are CLEAN so they're working at max effectiveness. If you've eliminated the thermostat as the cause, and the ballast, then you could swap the fans, but if they're running, they're probably okay.

Return to “Samsung Discussion”