Samsung HLR6167WAX/XAA DLP TV Screen freezes

Moderator: Angel

Forum rules
mbmackman
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Samsung HLR6167WAX/XAA DLP TV Screen freezes

Postby mbmackman » Sat Nov 23, 2019 4:30 am

I have a 9 year old Samsung HLR6167WAX/XAA DLP television that was working fine with a new Digital Board I replaced 4 years ago. I put in a new Digital board because the previous one was causing green rectangles to show up on the Antenna input. The HDMI input did not have this issue and the picture was perfect on that input. The same green rectangles started showing up on the Antenna input earlier this year and I decided to replace the Digital Board once again. I got a "In Working Condition" board for about $100 off of ebay and that fixed the green rectangles for a few weeks.
But after about a month I got a new problem. Now, the TV screen does not turn on everytime when plugged in and the power button is pressed on the remote. The initial beep does sound off and the lamp is seen to be on from the back of the TV but I have to unplug the power for about 10 seconds and plug it in and hit the power button. This unplug replug turn on cycle works after a couple of tries and the TV finally has some picture on it.
Once the TV turns on, the picture though has the green rectangles and the screen freezes to whatever picture it has. The remote then stops responding and the picture freeze stays for about 20 seconds before the screen goes black. The Timer, Lamp and Standby/Temp lights are all off at this point. Another 20 seconds in and the screen turns back on with another frozen picture, the remote still unresponsive, and the cycle repeats itself. Now if I unplug the TV for 10 seconds and try the replug power button technique again, after about 2 or 3 tries, the TV turns on properly and normal video and audio shows up on the screen with the remote being responsive.
The lamp on the TV has not been replaced for the 9 years I've had it as the TV is only turned on for weekend sporting games but clearly the lamp is very old. The Digital Board has been replaced twice but I'm not sure if it is the Digital Board or the DMD board that is the issue here or something else entirely. Given that this is an old TV and new parts, or any parts for that matter, are hard to find, is there a very simple fix like replacing a lamp or a board that could fix this issue? Or should I just scrap the TV for an LED Screen at this point? Any and all suggestions are welcome. Thanks.

[b]Update:[/b]
I read in one of the threads somewhere that the problem with picture freezes when turning on might be because one of the capacitors or relays or something is not charging correctly and so figured the Power Board could be causing it. I replaced the Power Board after finding one for about $15 off of eBay. The TV powers on correctly every time without having to keep it on for about an hour and then turning it off and on and hoping it doesn't freeze. The green rectangles still show up on Antenna input but HDMI doesn't have that issue. The Antenna input shows up correctly after about 10 minutes. Looks like my original problem of Green Rectangles still persists, but the screen freeze is resolved. The green rectangles is a solvable problem i.e. replace the RAM chips or replace the Digital Board entirely.

Return to “Samsung Discussion”