Frustrated need a second opinion, no picture/sound

Moderator: Angel

Forum rules
eddiegwatz
Contributor
Contributor

Frustrated need a second opinion, no picture/sound

Postby eddiegwatz » Thu Sep 02, 2010 6:54 am

I own a Samsung DLP 61" Model Number HLP6163WX/XAA I'm aware that Samsung has a recall for a defective light tunnel in which I recently learned is connected to the Light Engine I'm a Noob so please bare with me, I take the unit to a Samsung authorized repair center and they tell me it's the "optical block" which if I understand correct is attached or part of the "Light Engine" seems like alot of parts and components are attached to the light engine. Now they quoted me in the 700-800 range and I think that's insane!! initially the unit was giving me symptoms of a faulty light tunnel the picture was shadowed and not aligned correctly, and I turned it off and delivered the unit to the authorized service center dealer personally less than 2 miles away, and we were very careful drove very slow.

Now the tech tells me it very well could be the bad light tunnel but something else could have taken a dump and it does not fall into the DLP light tunnel recall that Samsung has going on now, and they replace it because he can't actually give that diagnosis because that's not what he's seeing at this point, he would have to replace the optical block/light engine and that I would have to pay for out of pocket.

Keep in mind as I'm sure we all are aware but I purchased this unit new 4.5 years ago for 3200.00+Tax in in the past year replaced the color wheel and lamp which is expected. want to know if it's possibly to fix the optical block itself or do i need the whole darn light engine thing? I love this tv and for the most part have been very pleased with it but there has just have to be a less expensive way to get her up and running again... is there? please help me I need my baby back home this outrageous price just makes me ill any help or lead me in the right direction is greatly appreciated. thanks to all who are willing to help.

johnrot
TV Repair Jedi
TV Repair Jedi

Re: Frustrated need a second opinion, no picture/sound

Postby johnrot » Thu Sep 02, 2010 6:05 pm

Hi!!

This is what it happens, the thing is that the symptoms that you have point to the light engine, because it could be the DMD board, the LCD chips, the light tunnel, etc... the thing is that in order to get an specific diagnose of that is very hard and also those parts are not sold separately and most of them are no longer beign produced, so that's why you need to get the whole light engine, if you want to replace this yourself we recommend you to get the part number and then make your search for example here is one for the same tv model number but there is a possibility that it could be more part numbers for the same part due production date, line etc.. i always check the parts here at this website DM because if you see the pictures the one at the bottom it has where they took the part numbers from, hope this can help you :ugeek:
http://www.discount-merchant.com/SAMSUN ... 188786.htm
[b][color=#BF00FF]WE ALWAYS LEARN SOMETHING NEW[/color][/b]

darkart77
Tech Junkie
Tech Junkie

Postby darkart77 » Thu Sep 02, 2010 6:59 pm

Edd, I'll have to agree with Johnrot, this problem is very common Unfortunate but common.

eddiegwatz
Contributor
Contributor

Postby eddiegwatz » Fri Sep 03, 2010 4:53 am

Thanks guys for you're response, I guess I have to just suck it up and replace the whole light engine, however I did find one for under 300.00 from a good source. Is the actual repair itself extremely difficult? I mean what from I've heard pop the panel off remove a few screws and the tray slides out a few connections and then back in business and I've also hear something needs to be calibrated which I have no clue where to begin, or is this simple plug and play so to speak? again I want to thank you for your input and taking the time to
answer my post.

Eddie Gwatz

Return to “Samsung Discussion”