HLS6187W red/green vertical lines on HDMI input 1

Moderator: Angel

Forum rules
Mekk
Contributor
Contributor

HLS6187W red/green vertical lines on HDMI input 1

Postby Mekk » Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:25 pm

I've had this TV for about 5 years and the light engine assembly was replaced with a new one a year ago. My configuration (all connections are HDMI):

Comcast cable box --> Denon 1912
Sony BD player --> Denon 1912
Xbox 360 --> Denon 1912

Denon 1912 --> HDMI input 1 on TV

Recently, I was playing the Xbox and I switched over to the cable box to watch TV and the screen was filled with red vertical lines on the left side and green vertical lines on the right with about 1 inch of spacing. Within the 1 inch of spacing the "clear" part of the picture had a digitized look.

Where my confusion lies is that when I switch to the xbox or the BD player, the picture is perfect. I have done some simple troubleshooting:
-Using all different HDMI cables from the cable box to the TV & the receiver to the TV to see if the cable was at fault (Did not fix the problem so it's not the cables.)
-Moved the HDMI cable from my receiver to go into input 2 on the TV and this fixes the picture.

What I don't understand is how the multiple sources, all flowing through 1 HDMI from the reciever to the TV are not experiencing the vertical line occurrence. My thought is that if there were a hardware problem within the TV itself, that the lines would be present regardless of the source.

Can the culprit be the physical INPUT 1 on the TV? If so, how does it not affect the picture for the Xbox and BD Player?

Thanks in advance!

Mekk
Contributor
Contributor

Re: HLS6187W red/green vertical lines on HDMI input 1

Postby Mekk » Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:22 am

After HOURS over multiple days and the problem going away and coming back, it turns out I may have found the culprit. My surge protector/power strip is 5 years old and it turns out that the "MONITOR" outlet is probably faulty. I plugged the TV into another available outlet and the problem fixed itself.

I started looking at other things besides input wires and sources after I ran a completely independent test with another cable box from cable from another room and the problem remained. Also, I reassigned the HDMI input assigments and the problem followed based on the cable box source. If it had been the HDMI wire/input connection/output to monitor, the problem would have remained on the specific HDMI input/output.

In the end, I am still confused how the power wire made the Cable box source caused vertical lines on the TV from multiple rooms/wires AND how the power input for the TV was causing it but the problem is solved (for now!).

Still standing by to see if this is one of those coincidental type of fixes and the real culprit still remains at large or if the surge protector was causing some kind of interference on the outlet the TV was plugged into. Still a real mystery to me.

Mekk
Contributor
Contributor

Re: HLS6187W red/green vertical lines on HDMI input 1

Postby Mekk » Fri Dec 23, 2011 1:14 am

Well it did it again after working good since my last post. I simply unplugged the TV from the power strip/surge protector and then plugged it back in and it worked fine again. I don't know if it's a bad power strip/surge protector or something funny going on with the power supply in the TV but it seems unplugging and plugging it back in "resets" whatever is causing the green vertical lines.

Return to “Samsung Discussion”