Samsung HLS 6187W Grinding noise - Not color wheel

Moderator: Angel

Forum rules
bluspit

Samsung HLS 6187W Grinding noise - Not color wheel

Postby bluspit » Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:26 pm

We have a 61" DLP Samsung HLS 6187W that has been making a hissing-grinding noise off and on. Lately it has gotten louder and is all the time. Sometimes it seems to give a chirp or even pause, especially with a sharp scene change. Sometimes the picture seems to get a bit dimmer when the noise gets louder.

Everyones first guess is the fan or color wheel. I unplugged each fan and no change, noise still there. Ordered a new color wheel and installed it, no noise. Aha, thought I had it made. The next morning the noise was back ..... (at this point i'm getting dents in forhead from the proverbial brick wall). Removed the color wheel and turned the set on, it gives a clear sharp black and white picture, but the sound is still there, even on mute and with fans disconnected. Hmmm?

The noise seems to be coming from the area of the light engine side of where the color wheel fits, not from the lamp area. I haven't tried digging into this areaas I have't found any information on it and don't want to mess up any optical allignment.

The set has a good picture and I don't want to throw it away, but also can't see pouring much more into it either. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated, Thanks.

bluspit

Re: Samsung HLS 6187W Grinding noise - Not color wheel

Postby bluspit » Sat Dec 03, 2011 5:56 am

OK, things are looking up! I think we found the problem.
I didn't want to throw any more mony into it without satisfying my curiosity so I did some disassembly.
Fans ....................OK
Colorwheel............OK
Lamp ...................OK
Still scraping grinding noise ???
Balast ..................OK
What the heck, I might as well dig into the lens-mirror assy. and see what its like, supposed to be no other moving parts anyway, but be careful to not screw up the lenses.
Surprise, just before the mirror under the big lens I noticed a unit with wires to it called Dynamic Black L680Ao60508-00. Carefully removed it and much to my wondering eyes, it's a little shutter that flips back and forth in the light path, (another moving part).
Careful examination revealed small paint chips and a small shinny scrape mark where it was rubbing along the black light mask leaving a clear trail. The shutter blade was bent and finally rubbed thru the paint. Moving it produced a definite fine scraping noise. As it had never been apart, I can't see how it could be damaged, must have been built on a Monday.
Delicatly straightened it and reassembled everything, turned it on and waited for smoke or noise ....... NONE !! Happy camper! Ran all day and still OK!
Looks like I can use it for a while longer and pass it down to our daughter's family.

Thanks for listening and have a nice holliday.

Return to “Samsung Discussion”