dlack dots

Moderator: Angel

Forum rules
kicker49
Contributor
Contributor

dlack dots

Postby kicker49 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:09 pm

started with one , then two and now four black dots ramdonly on screen. any ideas

ChubbsTech
TV Wizard
TV Wizard

Re: dlack dots

Postby ChubbsTech » Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:32 pm

hey kicker

What kind of projection tv do you have sony, mitsubishi , samsung ?
Remember Knowing Is Half The Battle !

def
Contributor
Contributor

Re: dlack dots

Postby def » Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:51 pm

This suggests that the DMD device is showing signs of failure. This is the Texas Instruments dLp chip that eventually fails with more and more dots. Mine failed with both black and white dots. The mirrors on the chip get stuck either on or off. Most speculate that it is excess heat that causes the failure.

There is a fan that directly cools this chip so I believe the heat speculation is correct.

Once you go in to change the DMD device (it is easy to do), make sure you vacuum the boards and other heat producing components and the cooling fans (as many as three) to keep cooing optimized. Mine was not full of dust but the heat sink on the back of the DMD chip was pretty clogged up with dust.

If you need help understanding how to change the chip, go to Youtube. It is well documented there.

But, I would wait until the picture is so full of dots as to be a nuisance. The new chip is under $100.00 for a 720 resolution receiver and under $200.00 for the 1080 receiver. Only a Phillips screwdriver is needed...nothing fancy.

Return to “Samsung Discussion”