Moderator: Angel

Forum rules
SamsungJF
Contributor
Contributor

Samsung 5065w Black screen

Postby SamsungJF » Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:05 am

Hello All,
I'm trying to figure out what's the issue with my DLP. It started a few weeks ago. The TV would power down randomly. For about a month, it wasn't that bad maybe once or twice while watching it. Now I get a black screen and the power cycles on / off repeatly. I would like to know troubleshooting technics. I can't seem to find anything on Samsungs site.
Doesn't anyone have any suggestions.

Oh by the way for any already bought a new TV but I would like to see what's wrong with this one.

Thanks in advance.

rougeleader
Self-Proclaimed Guru
Self-Proclaimed Guru

Re: Samsung 5065w Black screen

Postby rougeleader » Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:01 pm

Hi,
well the most obvious question i can ask is, have you taken out the lamp? does it look burnt, misshapen, smoked or shattered?
If the lamp looks ok, typically it is ok and there might be a different issue with the TV. I.E. the ballast!

hope this helps!

SamsungJF
Contributor
Contributor

Postby SamsungJF » Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:18 pm

No I didn't. I thought it may be the light because it's never been replaced, but because of the cycling power I wasn't sure if a bad lamp would cause it. That's why I woould like to find some type of troubleshooting path.
What does the ballast do? Does it supply power to the Lamp circuit?

Thanks for your input!

SamsungJF
Contributor
Contributor

Postby SamsungJF » Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:02 am

SamsungJF
Contributor
Contributor

Postby SamsungJF » Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:32 am

Update.

I measured the vlotage across CN1 and it is 382V exactly. during my testing I noticed a zapping sound and I looked in the general direction and I saw blue glow. It was on a component that looks like a capacitor. The only markings I could see were 800 034 I didn't see anything with microfarad or picofarad sign reference.
I looked in the service manual and couldn't find anything.
I added 2 pics of the ballast. the one labeled ballast one you can see the barrel cap.

I'm assumeing the ballast is bad. what do you guys think? Also the cap doesn't look burnt or blown.

Ballast1.jpg
Ballast1.jpg (50.13 KiB) Viewed 4480 times

Ballast2.jpg
Ballast2.jpg (58.78 KiB) Viewed 4480 times

Return to “Samsung Discussion”