Samsung 5067 getting weird

Moderator: Angel

Forum rules
hemirider
Contributor
Contributor

Samsung 5067 getting weird

Postby hemirider » Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:01 pm

I have a Samsung DLP; HLR5067 from 2006 and never had to have any work done on it.
Last week there was no picture or sound and it was full of dust. I opened it up, the big opening and carefully vaccumed it using a small model painting brush with the vaccum hose on the outside of the TV.

It started working again for a few days. Then there seemed to be a power problem, it would not shut off completerly, so I put it on a surge-protected power strip and use that to turn it on and off, as sometimes it does not go completely off it just hangs with the light lite out of the back and the fan running for hours if you would just leave it.

Now it just gets weird. It will work for minutes or hours. Sometimes it will just shut partially off. Most of the time it will get this green crosshatch, like five of six wide stripes mostly up and down, you can still see a dimmer distorted picture, but these green crosshatch are like brighter flickering overlay.

I can shut it off and sometimes it work after a few minutes, then othertimes the same result comes right back.

Any ideas, with it the light coming out of the back and it working some times it does not seem like the lamp?
MikeB

Jason1976
TV Repair Ninja
TV Repair Ninja

Re: Samsung 5067 getting weird

Postby Jason1976 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:10 pm

This is the common digital board issue with this model. most likely needs the solder reflowed http://cgi.ebay.com/Samsung-BP96-02168A ... 27ad9257d4

or you need a replacement digital board. that can be bought from http://www.samsungparts.com. everyone i know who bought a replacement board from discount merchant has received a bad one that looks good at first but those digital boards are known to have issues that can take over a week before they start showing up after being powered off. so please go with samsungparts and not discount merchant if you want to replace it. the most cost efective is a reflow if it works. The guy is good. not all boards are repairable. some boards get worse after a reflow but that is rarely the case. i would say around 95% of these get better with a reflow.

grayfox
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby grayfox » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:52 pm

Hello hemirider,
When you start getting the distortion on your screen, have you tried out if the PIP option is affected as well? the image distortion as mentioned in a previous post is notoriously caused by a digital video board, but not limited to. The fact that your set is not accepting commands like the power button, leads me to believe there might be something wrong with your DMD board, hopefully you can find one sold separately since most of these are sold as a unit on the complete light engine. On a side note, besides the price difference, my staff of techs always order from the page mentioned in the previous post and the only times we have had to return one is when a technician puts in an order for the wrong revision or screen size (which even thought they are for diferent TVs, they physically look alike).
Hope this helps.
[img]http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100421222828/ssb/images/thumb/1/18/MetalGearSymbol.svg/50px-MetalGearSymbol.svg.png[/img]Unit Foxhound

SrMerlyn
Master Technician
Master Technician

Postby SrMerlyn » Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:13 pm

This could also be the DMD board. A really easy way to troubleshoot this is to go to a menu screen or PIP when the image is distorted. The menu screen and PIP image bypasses the digital video board. If the digital video is bad the PIP image will not be distorted. If that image is also distorted then it’s most likely the DMD board. You should be able to get both these parts from samsungparts, but they are really expensive. I’ve purchased digital video boards from discount merchant and have never had a problem.

dannybryant

Re: Samsung 5086 getting weird

Postby dannybryant » Thu Nov 06, 2014 12:53 am

My Samsung dlp HL-S5086W has lasted over 7 years on the first bulb. After changing the bulb it worked fine for 3 hours and then the picture froze with no audio. Set would not turn off. Unplugged it for a week and plugged it back in and TV turned itself on, and then hung up. I removed the far right circuit board (looking in from the back) and re-soldered some marginal looking solder joints (Wider traces with larger component leads didn't solder as well as the smaller joints). I also unhooked and reconnected all of the connectors that I could reach at this point. After this the tv worked fine for another 3 or 4 hours and then re-failed in the same way. I have a dog tv with a brand new $100 bulb.

grayfox
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby grayfox » Thu Nov 06, 2014 1:22 am

sounds like you did this to the main or digital video board, if it worked after you did some soldering, then this is most likely an overheating issue. Have you make sure the ventilation system is running and clean?
[img]http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100421222828/ssb/images/thumb/1/18/MetalGearSymbol.svg/50px-MetalGearSymbol.svg.png[/img]Unit Foxhound

Return to “Samsung Discussion”