HL-R6167WAX/XAA turns itself off

Moderator: Angel

Forum rules
albojeff
Contributor
Contributor

HL-R6167WAX/XAA turns itself off

Postby albojeff » Tue Dec 14, 2010 3:24 pm

I got my HL-R6167WAX/XAA in 2005 and got the 4 year extended warranty through Circuit City. That warranty ran out last Nov. I have had the bulb replaced twice (last time was April 2009 and I believe they replaced the ballast as well) during that period because of the following symptom: The TV shuts itself off after 10-15 minutes. I can usually turn the TV on after several seconds and it will usually work fine the rest of the night although it will occasionally turn off again. I've never had a problem with it not coming back on and I have never noticed any lamp indicator or excessive lights blinking when this happens.
This starting happening again and since it is now out of warranty, this will be my first attempt at replacing anything on the TV so I would appreciate any guidance. I would assume the first thing to try would be replacing the bulb. Am I on the right track and are there hints or things I need to know before starting? I believe the lamp I need is the BP96-01073A.

ps, I am not an electronics expert and while I have a multimeter, I don't know how to use it. I have been building my own computers since 1986 so I guess I'm not totally useless.

grayfox
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Re: HL-R6167WAX/XAA turns itself off

Postby grayfox » Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:41 pm

Hello,
To start off, it is not that difficult to troubleshoot for this television, any technical experience will help. I must strongly recommend against using a multimeter for this since the ballast supplies the lamp with a 15 K volt ignition charge that might damage your equipment.

So if your Television did not give you any image distortion or discoloration and it is not making any type of noises (buzzing or grinding/whirling), I would suggest you begin with the lamp. This is the most common consumable part in your TV followed by the ballast and colorwheel.

***Please make sure before you purchase a lamp, to remove it from the TV and get the product code (example BP96-00826A) and to also check the lamp inside the enclosure, this particular model was made to use both a large round lamp and a smaller squared base lamp***
for more info on that check out the link below
http://www.discount-merchant.com/Samsun ... mp-enc.htm (small)
Good Luck!
[img]http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100421222828/ssb/images/thumb/1/18/MetalGearSymbol.svg/50px-MetalGearSymbol.svg.png[/img]Unit Foxhound

albojeff
Contributor
Contributor

Postby albojeff » Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:29 am

Thank you for your quick response. Don't worry, I won't go near it with a multimeter. I checked the label on the side of the TV and it lists the lamp as a BP96-01073A(P). You mentioned this model was manufactured with 2 different size lamps and I assume they would have different part #s so does the above part # indicate which it size lamp is used? I will still take the lamp out to make sure before I order a replacement.

The TV turned itself off again last night after about 15 minutes and I turned it back on within anbout a minute of it shutting off. I checked the power button display when I turned it on and the LAMP indicator flashed about 5 times and then stopped. Is that a normal startup sequence? The TV worked fine the rest of the night (about 4 hours). I also checked the lamp hours and it is showing 1875 and my display was set to standard, not dynamic. How long should that lamp last normally?

Thanks in advance for all your help. It is greatly appreciated.

albojeff
Contributor
Contributor

Postby albojeff » Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:32 pm

One last concern, my TV sits in an entertainment unit (well ventilated) and I will need to pull it out and unhook everything to check/replace the lamp. Since I will have it out and accessible, can/should I try calibrating the TV. I have never had that done, I just bought that TV, took it out of the box and hooked it up. Is this something that I can do myself or is it best done professionally? I guess the real question is do I need to do it at all. The TV sits in our great room and we sit about 20 feet away. The picture looks fine as far as I'm concerned, but if it could be better, maybe I should consider it. Sorry, I'm rambling. The real question is should a TV be calibrated at least once or is this just a sales ploy?

albojeff
Contributor
Contributor

Postby albojeff » Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:02 pm

One last bit of information. The warranty service provider replaced the lamp, ballast and color wheel in Jan. 2009. I would like to think that I should only have to replace the lamp. How probable is it that either the ballast or color wheel has gone bad this soon? As I mentioned, there has been no whirring noises or excessive clicking.

debbiem

Postby debbiem » Sun Dec 26, 2010 3:21 am

I have the same TV and it is going nuts, green, turns on and off or wont turn off or on, sound doesnt match. I also bought the 60mo warranty, I called Rex where I bought my exteneded warranty they want to give me 750.00 they say it will cost moreto fis then it is worth thinking I got screwed paid 495.00 for the warranty and then 2500.00 for the tv, so 3,000.00 to have the TV for 4 years. Not sure what to do? :oops:

Jason1976
TV Repair Ninja
TV Repair Ninja

Postby Jason1976 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:00 pm

Return to “Samsung Discussion”