Samsung DLP - Very Loud Vibrating Sound

Moderator: Angel

Forum rules
qgolf16

Samsung DLP - Very Loud Vibrating Sound

Postby qgolf16 » Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:09 pm

My Samsung DLP just started making a very loud vibrating sound when I turn it on. Like someone is power sanding the wall behind the TV! There is still a picture, but the quality is not nearly as good. Very blurry/grainy.

Does anyone know what this is? I initially thought the bulb as I heard they go frequently. But I still get a picture and if the bulb went my guess is I would get no picture. So is it the color wheel??? The noise I hear seems a lot more pronounced than many of the posts I have read about the color wheel.

Thanks!

rougeleader
Self-Proclaimed Guru
Self-Proclaimed Guru

Re: Samsung DLP - Very Loud Vibrating Sound

Postby rougeleader » Fri Dec 24, 2010 5:13 pm

hi,
yeah the most likely cause of that sound is a grinding bearing in the color wheel, most people dont realize ho fast the color wheel spins, it goes upwards of 9,000 rpms

qgolf16

Postby qgolf16 » Sun Dec 26, 2010 4:42 pm

Thanks! Can I just replace the bearing or do I need a whole new color wheel? I have not opened the TV up for surgery yet. Any thoughts on where I should get the part(s) from?

Thanks again!!

dazzap40

Postby dazzap40 » Mon Dec 27, 2010 10:34 am

Have a samsung dlp 50 in.
loud sounds come from near the lamp on and off when changing components.
tv works fine in tv mode. eg when i play a dvd the noise starts up but picture is fine the noise is that loud can barely hear the sound.
Strange but when running my tivo through the hdmi it works fine to watch tv through it. But if i want to play the ps3 through the hdmi the noise starts up again. the noise stops and starts all the time if u bang the tv the noise stops for a few sec then starts up again. but the picture is fine and volume is fine. change it back to the tivo the noise stops. Please whats going on is the colour wheel or bearing in it the noise is pretty loud.
Regards
Dazza

Return to “Samsung Discussion”