Identification: Philips vs OSRAM Lamp

Moderator: Angel

Forum rules
DaveC
Likes to Post
Likes to Post

Identification: Philips vs OSRAM Lamp

Postby DaveC » Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:59 pm

I had read about a few folks having some issues with the OSRAM made replacement lamps so I opted to spend a few more bucks and get a Philips. However, the lamp I received does not say "Philips" on it, nor does it say OSRAM. I think it is a Philips since OSRAM lamps (at least those I have seen) have said OSRAM and say made in Germany. The lamp I recieved says the following:

232-0243-00
Belgium

The lamp is a BP96-00224J (P)

Thanks. Just want to be certain I got what I paid for and could not get a part number hit on either Philips or the OSRAM web site?

DaveC
Likes to Post
Likes to Post

Re: Identification: Philips vs OSRAM Lamp

Postby DaveC » Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:39 pm

Just thought I would add....I just looked at a close-up picture of a Philips bulb on the DM site and under the Philips brand it said...MADE IN CHINA! Go figure. I read bad things about rebuilding Philips bulbs with China made burners, and now it looks as though the bulbs being sold by DM as Philips are no longer made in Belgium, but in China? I still have the original bulb from my set..and it was made in Belgium, not China!

Angel
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Angel » Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:59 pm

Hi DaveC.

Actually the Philips Belgian factory has been closed since 2006, after that all the Philips bulbs are made in China. All the Philips lamps says "Philips", most probably what you have is a generic bulb, since all the OSRAM lamps says P-VIP on it.

You can read this article: to know how to identify a cloned Philips bulb.

In true honesty it doesn't matter if the Philips lamps are made in China or Belgium because this lamps are made by machines that cost from 3 to 6 million dollars. These lamps are not made by hand, the cloned lamps are.

Hope this answer your question.
The best "Do It Yourself" site for all types of Displays!

Jake
Tech Junkie
Tech Junkie

Postby Jake » Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:18 pm

[color=#FF0000]Jakey![/color]

DaveC
Likes to Post
Likes to Post

Postby DaveC » Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:11 pm

Thought I would add one more point of fact. I just had the opportunity to look at the Samsung Service manual for my set. It lists not only OSRAM and Philips, but Toshiba as well! I guess they are all authorised suppliers.

Angel
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Angel » Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:12 pm

Really? That's new for me, as far as I know Toshiba lamps are only used in Toshiba RPTV's. Could you please give us more info about it?
The best "Do It Yourself" site for all types of Displays!

DaveC
Likes to Post
Likes to Post

Postby DaveC » Sat Apr 25, 2009 7:23 pm

Well, maybe I am reading too much into the following table. It is in Section 5, Alignment & Adjustment

Samsung.gif
Samsung.gif (11.68 KiB) Viewed 14127 times

Return to “Samsung Discussion”