Samsung DLP went out today, have audio file... :)

Moderator: Angel

Forum rules
slaponte
Contributor
Contributor

Samsung DLP went out today, have audio file... :)

Postby slaponte » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:50 pm

My tv is making this sound... seems to be a common issue around here. So I took a video of it so you can hear it.

How we got here.

Samsung DLP HLR6178WX/XAA
Lamp Code : BP96-01073A (P)

The TV is several years old. Lamps have never been changed.

Today, it was on and working fine, and I went away to the computer room. When I came back
The colors on the image were all scrambled. You could see the image, but with blotches of
black and green etc. I turned it off. Waited about 2 mins.

Turned it on. Produces a screeching sound (seems like a metal fan having a problem). It surges up and down
for a while and then the TV seems to do a reset (loud click, noise goes out), and starts again. I can't turn it off,
I have to unplug it to make it stop. I opened the rear panel. The small black fan in the rear seems fine. The lamp
doesn't go on now. The front display is blinking green, until the reset, at which point I get red lights, then back to blinking green.

I have loaded the video, all you see is black. I just wanted to capture the audio for you.

So, I immediately though it was the lamp, but then, could it be the color wheel?
The screeching sound seems to come from deep inside in the middle of the TV.

You can listen to it here : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1-GEoyHrQE

Also, concern : I have checked a couple of places and seems color wheel BP64-00475A has been discontinued. Anybody knows of a
compatible part or replacement? I am still searching around... (PS: seems BP96-01103A might work)..

Thanks for any/all info.

rougeleader
Self-Proclaimed Guru
Self-Proclaimed Guru

Re: Samsung DLP went out today, have audio file... :)

Postby rougeleader » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:59 pm

Hi, yeah that definitely sounds like a color wheel issue, what happened is that the bearing wore out and its grinding, this is the correct replacement:

hope this helps!

slaponte
Contributor
Contributor

Postby slaponte » Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:08 am

Yes, last night (while I waited for the post to show up :-) ) I decide to embarc in surgery.

Opening the rear, I removed the image unit, checked the lamp (filament seems fine) and then
found the obliterated color wheel. It all has been well cleaned up of debri and is ready to receive the
replacement.

Thanks to several guides I checked the process was actually easy. ;)

Thanks for the confirmation on the part. I saw it listed at Amazon for $89 (free ship). Searsparts had it listed as approved replacement. Ahh, the web! How did we live without it before?? :lol:

slaponte
Contributor
Contributor

Postby slaponte » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:55 pm

Just to report the part showed up today, installed, DLP is back up! :D

Thanks for all the info on this forum. Total repair : 1 color wheel ($87) and a couple of hours.

My only tips to add : keep a vacuum near by, lots of dust accumulates over time. Also, the old color wheel had shattered and there were glass pieces everywhere. Search around for the best price. Be patient and organized. Once you take this out once, it is actually very easy.

Good luck to all and thanks again!

slaponte
Contributor
Contributor

Postby slaponte » Thu May 03, 2012 1:52 pm

Not to revive an old thread, but as a follow up.

16 Months later. The tv has been great. No further issues from previous repair.

Then, last night, while watching TV, a "pop" sound and no image. The sound went on for about 30 seconds and then the tv turned off. This time, the lamp since to have blown. I tried to start it back but just did a whining noise. No reason to think (at this time) the color wheel is damaged. The bulb broke (glass pieces) some more inclined to think something got into the fan on the back of it.

Is the original bulb, so I guess it lasted a good time.

Sergio

Return to “Samsung Discussion”